governor speed? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

burtonboy759 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to burtonboy759
governor speed?

does anyone know the factory ecu set governor speed? im not to sure whether my car has a different EM map on it from a previous owner and im not to sure how to check that without buying a cobb or something along those lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't think you have one, no.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXPhil is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXPhil
im not to sure if it has one...my car goes just about to 150, no EM just a turbo back and uppipe

The devil drives a WRX
#4 Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

i really dont think i have one either. i just figured id ask. i got the car over 140 the other day, prob close to 145. who knows with stock speedo's that only go up to 140 lol. i do have a cat-back, cai, and bov. i bought the car with those mods and know it probably should be tuned to make max gains. would u guys recommend i get a COBB or something similar before i start tinkering with the engine more?
#5 Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXPhil is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXPhil
u can get away with finishing up the exhaust...the dp and up thats what im running right now the full exhaust with no tune and i havent had any problems...knock on wood but i wouldnt go any further then that without getting it tuned

The devil drives a WRX
#6 Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you didn't have a limiter stock, that's what I'm saying. God knows what the previous owner did to it with mods like that on your list.

Yes, most ppl recommend cobb's AP if you aren't going to get it professionally tuned. If you are, you still might want one anyway but better to talk to the tuner at that point.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jcarv20 is an unknown
Deff Get Some Type Of Em First. It'll Help You Current Mods Too.
#8 Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

my bad mosc. thanks for input. as for the downpipe and uppipe that sounds like decent plan. im not doing anything to it till spring atleast anyway. hopefully i can have a lil money saved up in the next couple months and finish the exaust side up and possibly the ap later. working and going to school full time along with payin the car off is leaving lil money for the parts. second opinions are always awesome thanks guys.
#9 Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

EM is where ill go when i have the $700 to blow on it. i read a lot of how much it helps and dont doubt it for a minute. if i can find a decent place to dyno my car do you think its a good idea to do just to see where im lookin at power wise?
#10 Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc
you didn't have a limiter stock, that's what I'm saying
I thought the ECU turned boost off at around 125-130 as a kind of speed limiter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXPhil
im not to sure if it has one...my car goes just about to 150, no EM just a turbo back and uppipe
2 questions on this one...A)How do you know it goes 150 since the factory speedo only goes to 140?, B)Where?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My 07 had a speed limiter before I bought the AP. around 143 or so.
#12 Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You really dont need a tune for what you have right now, excpet maybe because of the CAI. IF you get the AP, thats really only a stage 1 map from there. Just keep saving your money for now and all should be fine.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
just wanted to through this out there. I order a 2nd gen ap last fall so my then tuner (cobb cert. protuner subracing in edmonton AB CANADA)could set me up right for my vf23 and pink injectors. get the ap and then find out that he can't even protune the 2nd gen ap because the software isn't finished. this took me right to the head at cobb. found out that they are still in testing. wont be out for a while. since then I have ordered the cable and downloaded enginuity. found a new tuner and got it taken care of. cobb makes a good product but for right now it only works if your mods fall into the staged maps that you can download from their site.

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX
#14 Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^^That sucks that they don't have the software for it yet, but hey another person using Enginuity.
You know now that I think of it they don't really eliminate the speed limiter they just raise the speed value to like 300mph or something. I would swear I read about that or heard someone talking about it...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
ya. after that cuffufle I was happy to go back to enginuty. I had been running it b4 with a breakin map but I didn't have a tuner that would use it, so the only tune i had was a over rich 15psi breakin map that me and a friend made so I could drive my car to the tuner.lol

now I won't use anything but opensource. if a tuner won't tune open source I say thankyou and move on down the road. i'm seriously debating heading down to EFI uni so I can just do my own. now if i could just figureout how to run it on my macbook life would be grand!lol

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX