Got DP & UP (no cats) and I hate the way my WRX sounds - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nekard
Ohh come on! Help me out here a little bit. I just put the TurboXS Turbo back exhaust on. This one doesnt have the uppipe which I want desperatly! I love the way the new beast sounds. Throatly like a big V8 without those 4 useless cylindars. It does smell a bit but that is all HP baby! If you want to sell the uppipe, email me.

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
You may want to stick the stock backbox back on the car. It'll be ALOT quieter, and the power loss will be minimal. I'm not sure what downpipe and midpipe you got, but I still have the 3rd cat on my car(for now) and it still stinks. I'd either put in a hi-flo cat that is designed to operate solo or put the stock midpipe back in if you can.

I'm surprised your car smells so bad. It must be running a bit richer at part throttle without all the cats. I think I blew up my 3rd cat with a backfire. It wreaks of sulphur once it gets warmed up.

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
#3 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Radiohead is an unknown
Do either of you guys have the catless uppipe? I think this is where I'm having problems mainly... I don't think I have an uppipe leak but it sounds really weird. Do you guys have the whistling turbo?
#4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Radiohead is an unknown
Yeah it does smell like rotten eggs but it's only noticeable when you're pretty close to the tailpipe.

I wonder if the whistling flutter noise is just because the uppipe has thinner walls than the stock piece, and the old cat simply dampened a lot of the noise before.
#5 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Its all in the downpipe. I hear that whistling noise and all I have is the downpipe.

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
#6 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

STiWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to STiWRX
If you don't want the catless pipes, send them to me and I will send you some money and my stock pipes..... :lol: :wink: Seriously.....!!!

Bill Janczewski
#7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
I hear that! I will trade anyone straight for the catless uppipe for this one with a ####y in it.

2002 Silver WRX
#8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

STiWRX is an unknown
C'mon Radiohead.... I'll trade ya!!!!

Bill Janczewski
#9 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Radiohead is an unknown
Geez What do I need your stock pipes for, I still got mine sitting in the garage

Seriously though, does anybody else have that raspy exhaust sound at low RPM?
#10 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

STiWRX is an unknown
UGH, just thinking.......Sorry...Oh, how nice it would be to have a obnoxiously loud WRX. Really want to piss of my next door neighbor and his 350 straight pipe CJ5 that he just HAS to start up at 0 dark thirty.....Just dreaming.....

Bill Janczewski
#11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
I have it at about 4k rpm. I love the sound though, especially the turbo. Wish the old Coronet r/t had that. Hmmm 440...Big Block....::drools::

2002 Silver WRX
#12 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
rex
WRXtuners Member

rex is an unknown
THe whistling is an artifact of the wastegate. The OEM design has it blwing into a flat plate which produces a ton of turbulence. At least my turboback (BPM TT) has dedicated wastegate and turbo piping for the first couple of feet, and I don't have any noise except the turbo whine. As for the sulfur smells, that's why you don't run catless without a new ECU. I assume you have the same sensors in as stock? This will make you run super rich because the ECU goes into "safety" mode. If you just installed it (<50miles) and you get a smell, that's normal you just need to run it on the highway for an hour or so. You besically need to burn off the factory "coating of what is usually oil.
#13 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Radiohead is an unknown
"New ECU?" You mean engine management right?
FWIW i have the stage II piggyback unichip from TurboXS and if anything the car is running way leaner than before with overall higher gas mileage.

The car used to constantly have a thin film of black soot all over the backend of the car, when stock... I've noticed that the soot is a LOT less with the stage II setup.
The bad smell seems to have gone away though. Either my family is getting used to it or it was the stainless steel getting "broken-in" that was the smell.

I think the raspy whistling at low RPM is some kind of exhaust leak but for the life of me I can't see where. It's only noticeable at low speeds but is probably just drowned out by the exhaust at high RPM... you'd think if it were a leak it would also start getting louder at high RPM though.

Quote:
Originally posted by "rex"

THe whistling is an artifact of the wastegate. The OEM design has it blwing into a flat plate which produces a ton of turbulence. At least my turboback (BPM TT) has dedicated wastegate and turbo piping for the first couple of feet, and I don't have any noise except the turbo whine. As for the sulfur smells, that's why you don't run catless without a new ECU. I assume you have the same sensors in as stock? This will make you run super rich because the ECU goes into "safety" mode. If you just installed it (<50miles) and you get a smell, that's normal you just need to run it on the highway for an hour or so. You besically need to burn off the factory "coating of what is usually oil.
#14 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Radiohead is an unknown
Got DP & UP (no cats) and I hate the way my WRX sounds

Okay I've been running with full exhaust system for a while now, and I HATE the way my WRX sounds.

It's too loud when I'm on the gas (sounds like a Harley). I got the MRT backbox.
It's not too bad at cruising speed or partial throttle. Volume control is the throttle.

Off-boost, however, below 3000 RPM, I get this constant faint whistling sound from the engine. I think it's just the turbo, but it's annoying. Kind of like a reedy low pitched fluttering whistle. I don't think it's a leak since I used fresh gaskets for both ends of the uppipe. Everything looks tight.

And to top it off, the car just STINKS without any cats. I can smell the pollution
I guess I deserve it for being so anti-environmental