Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Got a DP. Next move? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/got-dp-next-move-30670/)

AllExtinct 04-30-2011 09:59 AM

Got a DP. Next move?

I just picked up a Godspeed catless DP and have been reading up on some things before I go and install it and have unknown problems.

CEL was one but not alot and there is a way to fix the CEL but the DIY way will send the sensor in standby mode and not ready but I guess accessport has a fix for it w the OTS program.

I have a axelback exhaust and after I install the DP I was thinking I might get boost creep?
And I guess there are 2 ways to fix this from what Ive read.
1. port the wastegate.
2. Take to a good tuner.

And if I do get creep its ok to drive but not drive hard?
I have a gauge so Ill be able to keep a eye on it.

And my next step after the install was going to get a tune.
I was thinking about getting a OTS map for now maybe accessport?

Any info would help me lots.! Im still new to the mod world.

Thanks guys. !Thumbs Up

blk05WRX 04-30-2011 10:09 AM

First and foremost you won't have to worry about boost creep, or boost spikes. That is usually limited to the 06-up 2.5 liter cars.

Since you have an 02 you don't "need" a tune, but it's highly recommended. I would get the Cobb tuner. Check around for a used one if funds are limited. They lowered the price on them last year so most places sell them in the $5xx range and offer free overnight shipping.

The next piece you'll want is an up-pipe. 02-05 cars have a catalytic converter in the up-pipe. With the age of your car that's likely deteriorated and there is a chance, albeit very small, that some of the cat pieces can come apart at higher boost levels. I picked up an 05 STI up-pipe for $60 on eBay. Any STI or 06+ WRX up-pipe doesn't have the cat. That's why I didn't feel bad about taking it out. Subaru likely wised up and realized this was a bad place for the cat.

Get some good factory Subaru gaskets since the one's that usually come with the less expensive DP's are usually garbage.

Good luck.

BLAZE2099 04-30-2011 10:19 AM

Get an AP or Tactrix cable and do a tune, Think that about covers it tho.
Dont worry about creep!
Eventually get a pro tune tho, with your limited mods you can go a lil while without a pro-tune tho...
but put it on your TO DO LIST...
....GL......CHEERS!!!

turmic 04-30-2011 05:54 PM

Yep all your advice looks good so far. I don't know about the Godspeed being a good quality though. Definatly get good gaskets and then take which ever tune route you wish. Not tuning for it won't get all the benefits out of the part. Pro-tuning isn't necessary right away, but shouldn't be forgotten about. OTS maps in any form aren't as good as a good custom tune.

rex2002 04-30-2011 05:59 PM

maybe its just my combo of doing both catless up and downpipe but i did have some boost spikes during my shifts.is that normal ?

AllExtinct 04-30-2011 06:26 PM

[quote=blk05WRX;260515]First and foremost you won't have to worry about boost creep, or boost spikes. That is usually limited to the 06-up 2.5 liter cars.

Since you have an 02 you don't "need" a tune, but it's highly recommended. I would get the Cobb tuner. Check around for a used one if funds are limited. They lowered the price on them last year so most places sell them in the $5xx range and offer free overnight shipping.

The next piece you'll want is an up-pipe. 02-05 cars have a catalytic converter in the up-pipe. With the age of your car that's likely deteriorated and there is a chance, albeit very small, that some of the cat pieces can come apart at higher boost levels. I picked up an 05 STI up-pipe for $60 on eBay. Any STI or 06+ WRX up-pipe doesn't have the cat. That's why I didn't feel bad about taking it out. Subaru likely wised up and realized this was a bad place for the cat.

Get some good factory Subaru gaskets since the one's that usually come with the less expensive DP's are usually garbage.

Good luck.[/quote]

No creep, thats a plus I was kinda worried about it.
I was checking out uppipes some time ago and seen the project it seems to be getting to it and figured I would tackle the DP first the UP another time.
Since the Godspeed DP deletes the 2 cats I only have one left in the UP and if I delete that one too wont I fail emissions w no cats at all?
Yeah I was checking for gaskets already I was thinking about just replacing the whole shabang of gaskets since Ill be under there anyway, I seen a small leak last time I seafoamed by the axel joint. "Which I would say is a very simple way to check for leaks because all you have to look for is the smoke" ;)
Yeah I know Godspeed isnt the top of the line DP but the price was right for the moment.
Ill probable pick up a used unmarried Accessport.

Another quick ?? should I get a 3' midpipe now to meet the DP and axelback to make it a full 3' turboback?

Thanks for the input.

BLAZE2099 04-30-2011 07:06 PM

ask your local joe shmo garage about the admissions(not SEARS).... you just may be Ok.....GL!Thumbs Up.....CHEERS!!!

Hondafan 04-30-2011 08:06 PM

If they do an actual pipe test that's the only way you could fail emissions without a cat. I would recommend the can after the turbo if you're set on having one. I have to have a cat to pass visual in my county, but I can't imagine the "high flow" cats really do that much. I just got a catted DP to make sure I had one. Don't let the pre-turbo cat be your safety system to make sure you have a cat. That's all I'm saying.

RcrsWetDream 04-30-2011 09:58 PM

Best bet is to just keep your stock DP for emissions. If they just do a readiness check on the ECU you can pass, but if they do a sniffer test and visual you'll definitely fail.

If they do a sniffer/visual, just keep the stock DP ans swap it for the test.

AllExtinct 05-01-2011 07:57 AM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;260546]Best bet is to just keep your stock DP for emissions. If they just do a readiness check on the ECU you can pass, but if they do a sniffer test and visual you'll definitely fail.

If they do a sniffer/visual, just keep the stock DP ans swap it for the test.[/quote]

Yeah thats what I was thinking also. I dont think they do visual here. I think they only did the gas cap test last time I got inspected. I have the paper laying around somewhere that says what type of inspection it was.

Any chance Im gonna get a CEL with this DP?

bad grocerygetter 05-01-2011 08:52 AM

As long as you put the 02sensor back in and have the accessport you shouldn't get a cel provided there isn't anything unknown wrong with your car beforehand. I personally wouldn't put the downpipe On until you get an accessport as you won't see any major power gains from it without some kind of tune. It shouldn't run "bad" without one on the older cars(at least that's what i hear) but i still wouldn't to be on the safe side.

blk05WRX 05-02-2011 02:19 PM

I agree with bad_grocerygetter that you should install the DP and the accessport at the same time. That will ensure that you don't get any CEL's. 02-03 cars don't "need" a tune, but I wouldn't run it without one.

Also, leaving the up-pipe won't help you pass emissions if they run a sniff test. Eliminating the CEL's is how you pass an emissions test here, and the AcessPort is what does that.

turmic 05-02-2011 02:29 PM

Shouldn't have a visual up there, if they're using close to the same emission rules as the rest of PA.

pzr2874 05-03-2011 06:48 AM

[quote=rex2002;260532]maybe its just my combo of doing both catless up and downpipe but i did have some boost spikes during my shifts.is that normal ?[/quote]

Stock BPV?

bry831 12-16-2013 09:44 PM

Godspeed DP

Hey AllExtinct. Was wondering how the Godspeed DP worked out for you? Did it boost your HP and how was the sound? Thanks!

[quote=AllExtinct;260513]I just picked up a Godspeed catless DP and have been reading up on some things before I go and install it and have unknown problems.

CEL was one but not alot and there is a way to fix the CEL but the DIY way will send the sensor in standby mode and not ready but I guess accessport has a fix for it w the OTS program.

I have a axelback exhaust and after I install the DP I was thinking I might get boost creep?
And I guess there are 2 ways to fix this from what Ive read.
1. port the wastegate.
2. Take to a good tuner.

And if I do get creep its ok to drive but not drive hard?
I have a gauge so Ill be able to keep a eye on it.

And my next step after the install was going to get a tune.
I was thinking about getting a OTS map for now maybe accessport?

Any info would help me lots.! Im still new to the mod world.

Thanks guys. !Thumbs Up[/quote]