Got a CEL, guess what else I found,... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Gerlando is an unknown
So I got a CEL for the second time this week (Failure in the rear 02 sensor) and I finally decided to fix the splice job that I had done the first time around. I originally did a bad job with keeping the wires secure and they ended up sitting on the cat (wrapped in heat resistant materials of course).

Now for some more history. My exhaust is a M2 Turbo-Back. It's one of the earlier models that has an 02 bung that needs to be plugged up, since the sensor is moved back about a foot to the midpipe.

Also, just last week I went "monkey hunting" trying to find an exhaust leak and getting rid of some heat shield rattles. I checked every joint in the exhaust system for leaks and found none.

So I'm under my car getting the heat wrap off my 02 sensor wires and guess what? The 02 bung plug was gone! Somehow it had come out and I had a huge exhaust leak, shooting directly on my 02 sensor wires!

Needless to say this quickly explained the 02 sensor failure AND confirmed my previous paranoia about having an exhaust leak.

Fixing the wire and plugging the hole was a quick and easy fix and this time I made sure to secure the wire better.

So what's the point of all this? I would have never thought to check that bung for the exhaust leak, I forgot it was even there! But I guess sometimes you need to look in strange places to find the solution to your problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
good job tracking that down. How do you like that M2 exhaust. My car is still bone stock(2002 WRX). I'm staging to do some mods and exhaust is on the list. Only problem I have is that I want bits and pieces, but none of the pre-packaged stuff I see. Any suggestions.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Gerlando is an unknown
sammy-

I definately enjoy my M2. Freeing up the airflow for the WRX really changes its whole attitude so if you like it now, you'll LOVE it once you get a couple of mods on it.

I'd definately recommend the M2 system, but there are some interesting looking products coming soon. The TurboXS downpipe looks VERY well made, and the Vishnu Downpipe looks like a masterpiece (plus it will work with your stock exhaust AND with aftermarket parts once you decide to upgrade).

You'll also want to swap out your uppipe, the install is a major pain but SO very worth it. On that front again Vishnu's Uppipe looks awesome. M2's uppipe has an additional bung for and easy EGT gauge install, and my WRXPower uppipe is heat coated, has a lifetime warranty, and comes at a great price.

So, you have a lot of options to consider. Just watch out, because when you start modding your car, you never stop.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I hear that! thanx for the help. What's the tone like out the back. I really don't want that melon shooter sound. I've been thinking about a stromung muffler, because I think it will be more throaty.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hypnoticwrx is an unknown
Hey guys I am putting on the M2 up-pipe right now as we speak. Having trouble cutting the heat shield, came to take a look at Gerlado's up-pipe install. The M2 looks awesome and I will be installng the oil press., oil temp., and EGT gauges later tonight. Thanks for the mod. review on your up-pipe Gerlando.

Ivan
post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Gerlando is an unknown
sammy-

The M2 definately has a throaty sound, but I think a lot of that has to do with the boxer configuration of our engine. It almost sounds like a mini V8 I haven't compared side by side myself but others have stated that the M2 is actually one of the quieter Turbo-backs you can get. It's loud enough to make you smile and quiet enough not to be intrusive all the time.

Ivan, hope your install goes well. If you have a digital camera PLEASE do an install write up for your gauges. Gauges are next on my list of to-dos but they might get sidelined for some driving classes.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hypnoticwrx is an unknown
Gerlando-

I didn't get to install the gauges last night cause I finished the turbo and up-pipe pretty late. I will probably be doing the gauges tonight. I'll let you now how it goes and take some pictures.

Ivan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement