Subaru WRX Forum banner

Good Idea

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  thewr3tched 
#1 ·
I was wondering what all of you fellow WRX owners thought about this as an idea? Would it be a good idea to take out my K&N short ram intake, because I heard it gives the car a bad air/fuel ratio. And instead put a K&N drop in filter in its place, especially because I want a BOV and also a Cobb AP.

#2 ·
anything that you do to the intake will not add power. However, if you want to add sound you might want a drop in filter and silencer removal. The short ram intake is generally not worth it. It looks cool and if properly installed shouldn't mess anything up, it just won't do anything besides make more noise

#5 ·
if the BOV is properly installed, it will make the WOOOSHH noise but not cause any problems or add/remove power. This point is contested though but people who say otherwise have no info to back themselves up.

the HKS SSQV bov is >$300 though just FYI

just remember none of this adds power. For the same money you could get a downpipe that would give 20whp.

#6 ·
mosc said:
if the BOV is properly installed, it will make the WOOOSHH noise but not cause any problems or add/remove power. This point is contested though but people who say otherwise have no info to back themselves up.

the HKS SSQV bov is >$300 though just FYI

just remember none of this adds power. For the same money you could get a downpipe that would give 20whp.

Sorry but I dont see how just a DP will give you 20 WHEEL HP *SHRUGS Shoulders* :confused:

#8 ·
I just have to step in here guys, I hope you don't mind.. It's not a big deal with the Short ram, however the stock setup flows very well with the silencer removed ("y" style pipe in the inner fender well) and adding a K&N drop in will allow the turbo to spool a little faster.. Granted this doesn't necessarily "Add" power, however it will allow you to reach full boost sooner which will allow your car to achieve peak power numbers sooner.. Also DO NOT get a BOV unless you need it.. You will lose response.. Think about this.. The stock BOV takes the "Already Pressurized Air" and pipes it back into your intake (pre turbo) when you no longer are in boost.. The HKS (I have one) BOV is a great BOV, but vents 100% to atmosphere so you are in essence losing that pressurized air.. What does this mean.. It means that between shifts with the HKS BOV (or any other atmospheric BOV) you are throwing away air that your turbo already pressurized.. What does this do?? Well, that "Already Pressurized Air" will help re-spool your turbo after a shift because it's piped back into the intake and feed to the turbo.. If you vent to the atmosphere you are losing that "extra push" of pressurized air.. Thus losing response and power.. Also your ECU already registered that airflow through the MAS and so added the appropriate fuel to mix with it.. If you eliminate said air flow by venting it to atmosphere where does that fuel go? Into your engine throwing off your AF mixture.. Sorry Mosc but you are incorrect here, you may not "lose" power but you will lose performance... So unless you are putting down high hp numbers I suggest you stay away from a BOV..

I do however agree with Mosc on the DB being a good Idea, 20hp no, but it will add power and even more response with the addition of a K&N drop in and Silencer removal.. !Thumbs Up

IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT THE NUMBERS KIDS... :p

#10 ·
Interesting approach to the BOV arguement, I have not thought of that(pressurized air affecting spool) aspect before. I still do not think that there is a rich mixture due to a BOV though. I have a SSQV and do not have any issue with it. No black mark on my bumper or any performance difference(granted same setup just launching and daily driving no datalogger or auto cross comparison) just a nice sound. However I did have a GPmoto elbow with a perrin filter and did notice a 300-400 RPM difference in turbo spool. And yes a DP or TBE with cobb AP will be like night and day.

Peace!

#11 ·
I switched back over to my stock by pass valve from the HKS SSQV over the weekend. Since then I don't have anymore backfires between shifts like i did with the BOV. As far as performance and power, I haven't noticed anything significant, but it does seem to do a little better between shifts. could be the placebo effect tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.