going to the track - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-19-2003, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
going to the track

I have (basically) a TXS stage 2 setup and I'm going to the track (Lebanon Valley, NY) at the end of the month. Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks for me?

'06 WRX STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
go fast and win...

but try not to leave your tranny at the track...

post your numbers. would like to see how the stage 2 does... i have stage 3... make sure you go on cool evening... you'll do better that way... and let your hood up when just sitting between runs... or your intercooler will get heat soaked and you'll have bummer no power... or one better, get a couple bags of ice and a cooler (so they don't melt too soon) and sit one on top of the intercooler between runs... that should keep her nice and cool...
#3 Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'll definitly post my times. My friends will be video taping it so, I may have video too.

'06 WRX STi
#4 Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
Do you know how to run a car at the track? I'm not trying to insult you. I know that the first time you run can be intimidating if you don't know the proper etiquet. I can give you a primer if you want.

One thing I can tell you is that your 60ft. times will determine your times. If you can't get the car out of the hole in a hurry the times will be lackluster. I recommend overinflating your tires. You will have to experiment to get the desired effect, which is to just spin the tires leaving the line. Bring your revs up to about 4,500-5,000, again experiment with this. When the third amber lights plant your gas pedal foot and lift up off the clutch quickly. Don't dump the clutch or sidestep it! Just do a nice quick release. This will allow just enough clutch slip so that the motor won't bog. A good 60ft time would be in the 1.9 - 1.8 second range. Experiment until you achieve this.

Don't worry too much about your RT. These don't figure in your times.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
#5 Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Reaction times do figure into your total time. Your total time starts when the light turns green, and stops when you cross the finish line. Your reaction time tells you when you leave the line. However, a low RT doesn't always translate into a low ET. Some of my best ET's have been run with RT's over 1 second.
#6 Old 09-02-2003, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's not always true. In an actual competition race, RT's factor in because the winner is the first guy over the finishline not always the best ET. But in a test and tune or track rental and your just looking for times, don't worry about the light, your time starts when you leave the traps. so the light can be green an you could just launch whenever you feel comfortable. or you could redlight and it will still give you your ET.

I ran the other day, see my post "back from the track" I had a 1.81 60ft time and a 13.37 at 100.41 mph run as my best for the day.

'06 WRX STi
#7 Old 09-02-2003, 09:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well, I was just going by the way the lights work at our track. I have run the timing computer a few times myself, and the timer starts on the green, not when you leave the staging beams.
#8 Old 09-02-2003, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
help me out here...

I've never tracked before. Intimadating is an understatement... i'm going to finish off stage 4, and then go tracking one day just to see what she'll do...

But it is nerveracking because here i am this guy showing up with a nice looking car, and mods to back it up... but no race clue in the world... i'm going to make an idiot of myself for sure... i'm half tempted to find someone who knows what they're doing track my car just to see truly what times its capable of... ???

anyway, What does ET stand for? (elapsed time?). is this your total 1/4 mile time. and 60 ft times? i assume time taken to travel distance of 60 feet... and of course the hardest to peg well because that's when you're taking your car from a stop to a start.

And will i still be able to land a good time despite a REX with 43,000 miles on original stock clutch? Or will the clutch not hold well and allow for a good quick slip and quick application of juice to pavement?

What octane does everyone run at the track. and do you usually go close to empty gas tank? can you take an a gas tank to the track and fill up as needed? or is that not accpetable at most tracks? I have no clues here folks, never even been there to watch.
#9 Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

First of all, yes ET is the time it takes from when the light turns green to when you cross the finish line. 60 ft times are just that. They are a good representation of how well you are launching. On street cars with street tires, anything in the 1.8 - 1.9 second range is good.

You should be able to do fine with the stock clutch provided you don't abuse it. No clutch will hold up to repeated abuse. Somewhere between riding the clutch too much and dumping the clutch is a sweet spot where you will launch like a rocket, and not abuse your clutch. It's different for everyone, so you'll have to experiment. But, the first time you do it you'll know it. Since you have a UTEC, log each and every run. That way you can see what you need to work on.

I run 93 octane gas all the time. When I go to the track, I try to go with about 1/4 tank, then add 2 gallons of race gas (available at the track for $3.99/gallon - 108 octane) to my tank. So far no knocks recorded.