Subaru WRX Forum banner

Gas smell on cold warmups?

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Uselessmark 
#1 ·
Got a gas smell on my morning startup or after 2-3 hour cool down time on my 03 wrx. Has up pipe and down pipe conversion with a 2.2 resistor canceling my cel so I assumed just lil extra fuel dump but really this smell is newer and almost like thru the heater vents. I sniffed around filter n checked around lines all smells good. But on the 2/4 side of enging I can whiff it under tho intake by fuel rail. No known fuel rail work and intake gaskets appear dry any thoughts out there???

#2 ·
Yup it's about that time of year for us again. I guess your now included in the cold start gas smell club. :rolleyes:

It's a common thing with our models. There was a re-call on a fuel line some time back,so if you can take the smell for a few odd months you'll be ok.

http://wot.motortrend.com/recall-roundup-subaru-wrx-hit-with-possible-fuel-line-leak-6934.html

I usually just crack the window while warming up,blast the heat and drive a few blocks with the window cracked and no more smell. !Thumbs Up

#3 ·
Oic. That makes sense is it like and o-ring issue or connections in fuel line. I spose I'll look TSB on alldata but thanks for that info. A lot more reassuring than possibility of intake leaks or something.

#4 ·
Yeah when I first picked up my Suby I thought pretty much the same till I heard about the re-call.

Subaru also sent out another re-call a few months back with a notice about the lower control arms failing due to bolt failure.
Alot of people received letters in the mail along with myself, you can check into that also in you got time. Not sure what years are affected.

Glad to be of help. !Thumbs Up

#9 ·
Ya i called the dealership so they're gunna do it along with check out if they can recall my ABS ecu ### I got one of the tsbs on that to the abs just randomly activates on light pedal press and dirt roads. Although I did ask the dealer if I could just get a check for the repairs ### im tech anyway and go buy a bigger fuel rail and injectors and lines to the filter. Unfortunatley not something they do lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.