Subaru WRX Forum banner

g16 turbo on a wrx?

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  delswrx 
#1 · (Edited)
I was planning on running a vf34 on my wrx but after i found out that the 16g had more mid-range and top-end i am undecided. Is anyone running a 16g, 18g, 20g, etc. on their wrx? thanks

#2 ·
I've heard both

i'm not so sure that the 16G is neccesarily going to have more mid and top.... i also heard it will generate less on top but spool slightly faster.... it all depends on who you ask.... i've seen that the 18G (on Godspeed) dyno has made 320 WHP which isn't all that much more than a VF34 can make, maybe 300WHP, so gotta figure the 16G is below the 18G.... So if you really wanna be sure for more top and mid than the VF34, then get an 18G, it will spool to 18psi by just over 4000 rpm... be careful though, it will probably allow you to make short work of the stock driveline components of a wrx.... If you get a 20G, it would likely require more attention to wastegate control, if not an external wastegate altogether.... so 18G seems to be a good median for gobs of top end power and still maintain reasonable daily driveability.... And if you really want top end power out the waazoo w/out all the hassle, buy a Supra and mod that just slightly... :D

#4 ·
The 18G is considerably bigger than the VF34, and the 16G falls somewhere just above the 34, but still smaller than the 18G. Everyone I've seen with the 16G has RAVED about it, and recommended it to anyone that would listen basically. So long as you buy a subaru specific version, not a dsm version, it will still be a direct bolt on.

#5 ·
???

my understanding is that the VF22 and the 18G were very similar in sizing, and that the VF22 was not considerably larger than the VF34, (same turbine, larger compressor... correct me if i'm wrong, because i don't know that for sure)...... so would make sense if the 16 and the 34 were similar in size... far as performance, most people i know about the 34 rave too.... its like, i just spent x number of $$$ upgrading to this or that turbo, not many will say they are unhappy with it.... if you want a big top end power difference from 34 though, get the 18.

just my .02

#7 ·
I've had the 18g on my car since february and the mid and top end is awesome, the power doesn't fall off before redline like the 34. The spool up isn't too bad either even with a front mount. I had the vf34 before the 18g and the only regret is the the 18g is not water cooled, but that's what youre turbo timer is for. I also have a pic of an 18g, vf34 and a stock turbo sitting next to each other, i just don't know how to post it. If anyone wants to see i can email you a pic.

#8 ·
yeah

pm'd you on that pic....

what type of engine management are you running? where did you get your 18G from, what did you pay?

I'm seriously wanting an 18G.... what max psi do you run it at? how difficult was it to dial in your boost curve....???

and is the top and mid noticeably stronger than the 34... like on highway at speed, you can get on it and the car really kicks in strong..... (i hate my budd's supra, its so damn highway fast, i just can't even begin to hang with it on the VF30)....

thanks for any input....

#9 ·
I sent the pics to you. I'm using the utec. I got it from turboxs, forced performance which is who they get it from anyway didn't have it in stock at the time but they did so i scooped it up. I was actually going to order a 22 when i called them but germaine told me they had great results with the 18g so i decided why not give it a shot. I switched from a smaller turbo and top mount to a bigger turbo and front mount so that already pushed the power band closer to the top but i could feel a big difference in the top end. im running 20.5psi on my strong map. The only thing holding me back is the sti injectors are maxxing out, this turbo is supposed to shine on race gas so as soon as i can i want to get a map dyno tuned for that and bigger injectors.

#11 ·
no problem, one thing i would recommend is if you don't have it already is to get a silicon turbo inlet pipe as the inlet on the 18g is slightly larger than that of the ihi turbo and the stock rubber hose isnt very thick and seems like it would end up tearing or splitting. If you have any other questions id be glad to help.

#12 ·
ok

thanks again...

yeah i ordered the FP 18G yesterday.... i do have the perrin silicon inlet hose... so i'm hoping it can stretch slighly to fit...

so are you maxxed out on the STi's and can't get a race gas map made because of the injectors themselves? rats... here's just another darn thing i gotta upgrade that i've upgraded once already...

So the car does pull better from rolling highway speeds than the VF34??? that's namely what i'm after at this point... i will still be far from keeping up with V's 450WHP supra (on pump gas low boost)... but at least it won't be quite as bad anymore.... i absolutely love and hate all at the same time watching him do a 70mph roll at WOT... his cars pulls away like mine is at a stand still (despite that i opended my throttle at the same time he did), its sick.

And the worst part is, i think my car is really fast when i'm on the highway alone or with average traffic, it really has good acceleration... but then i realize its nothing compared to a good Supra... and then i remind myself again that that Supra can beat average Ferraris, Porsches, Vipers on a light day (Z06 is no contest), in a straight line anways.....

Then i don't feel as bad anymore. :eek:

#13 ·
yeah the stis are pretty much maxxed out, they could have tuned a race mapped for me but my tank was full of 93, they were saying that they could have used more aggressive timing and a couple more psi of boost with the race gas so there is potential for more with the sti injectors. I guess if you really need more power than you should start looking into internals also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.