G.F.B bov question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

eatus rave is an unknown
Question G.F.B bov question

I installed my new G.F.B hybrid bov today. after installation I went for a ride. it sounded good seems to work good BUT after a 40 mile ride the bov is blowing to atmosphere at low boost. it wasnt doing that 40 miles ago so I pulled over to investigate opened the hood and peered into the funnel on the side of the bov and the piston was fluttering up and down but not closing at idle. I pulled the throttle cable slightly and it shut with a snap and stayed there until I let it idle again is this normal or not and if not what can be done to correct it PLEASE DONT COMMENT UNLESS YOU CAN DEFINITLY CONFIRM thanks in advance for all your time

speed safely !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2003, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
The way a BOV is set up and attached , it opens under full manifold vacuum , which SHOULD occur when the throttle is completely closed , however , I've noticed that the boxer motor pulls less than 11 inches of vac at idle....at least at this altitude (5300 ft) You have a few possibilties :: #1 If its adjustable , its out of adjustment. #2 You lost a vacuum line somewhere. #3 the vacuum line was attached improperly to begin with.

I put a Greddy Type-S on my car. , and so far ....no problems
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

eatus rave is an unknown
no its not adjustable. and all vacuum lines are attached to where there supposed to be. BUT I have heard that this type of bov is supposed to do this because it is a sequential hybrid 50/50.so it blows to intake first then blows to air second .there is one hole low for intake and a hole up higher for blow to atmosphere and at idle the piston hovers between these holes leaving ONLY the hole to intake open until the throttle is opened and then it snaps shut and wont blow to either until the throttle is closed and depending on how hard your on boost and how fast you close the throttle differs how the valve reacts and were it blows to it sounds funny to me but it makes sense if you think about and how our cars work

speed safely !
post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2003, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
From what I read on your first post , It WAS working properly , and then it WASN'T....or did I read that wrong....
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

eatus rave is an unknown
I have been informed by GFB of australia that this is not uncommon in us spec cars and to use a 2mm spacer if it bothers me and this will stop not that its a bad thing and can be left as it is . the reason, our US spec cars idle at a lower rpm than the overseas cars and it is caused by intake pulse at idle and only at idle and other than that its working perfectly thanks to all that have answered

speed safely !
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
Ahhhhh. So then , low idle vacuum. I've noticed the WRX motor idles at about 475-525 rpm...that is pretty low.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

OZZYMY03 is an unknown
I've heard the new wrx's if you install an aftermarket BOV it should be a plum-back BOV, is this really necessary? The GFB hybrid is supposed to be good, but is it loud?
I really wanna install a HKS SSQ BOV but its not plum-back, would anything negative happen if i was to install that BOV??
thanx for your help. im a newbie
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2003, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
As with any turbo car , venting to atmosphere from the BOV will cause you to run rich right after the shift. I prefer recirculating BOV's like the Greddy Type-S because the A/F ratio stays where it should. Cars that vent to atmosphere generally have ways to compensate for this electronically , or by having the MAF sensor relocated to AFTER the BOV location. This was possible on DSM's , but may be too hard to engineer with the WRX because of the close confines of the engine bay.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement