Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   further mod suggestions (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/further-mod-suggestions-29651/)

cjcap4 10-11-2010 11:25 PM

further mod suggestions

2005 Subaru WRX 5 speed

whats been done:
VF48 turbo
DW 650cc injectors
CSS complete fmic kit
GS EBCS
walbro 255lph fuel pump
SPT intake
Gimmick turbo inlet
Gimmck coolant hoses
catless uppipe
COBB turbo back ''3 exhaust

it puts about 305 hp to the wheels with these mods

i want to go a little further and get a little more power. i was thinking about getting a wastegate but i need some opinions on that. and i would like some other suggestions that i could do to add a little more hp. thanks

RcrsWetDream 10-12-2010 08:46 AM

You won't see much power with the wastegate, but your boost control will be spot on and you should be able to hold more boost longer. Granted I have an ewg from GrimmSpeed, it was the last thing I did.

Also, the up pipe you would have to get to run ewg will pretty much always outflow the stock catless unit. Also, you will see better spool and/or more top end with a set of either PnP exhaust manifolds + high flow crosspipe or a good set of equal length headers. Again, I did the PnP and crosspipe from grimmspeed and I like it. Keeps the stock reliability of the cast exhaust manifold elbows (aftermarket headers are prone to cracking), and the subaru sound. ELH overall offer more power at the cost (usually) of a bit of spool time and the sound of the boxer if that matters to you.

It's not apples to apples since I have the 2.5L, but I hit full boost at 19.5psi at 3200rpm's on the VF52, which is pretty much the VF48 with a different compressor cover to bolt directly to my intercooler. Compare that to stock 13.5psi at 4,000rpm's. We have pretty much the same mods with exception to the wastegate and exhaust manifold.

cjcap4 10-12-2010 10:48 AM

Thank you, that helped alot. And would i need a tune if i got the waste gate and haders? And how much hp is your car pushing?

RcrsWetDream 10-12-2010 11:19 AM

Unfortunately not as much as you lol. I'm only making 290/300 to the wheels; 91 octane and 4,200' elevation sucks hard.

You will need a tune for the ewg... Headrs/manifolds you don't necessarily need one, but I would because the better spool could throw your wgdc's or even afr's a bit off.

cjcap4 10-12-2010 06:04 PM

how much hp do you think the ewg and headers will add? and what are some good brands?

RcrsWetDream 10-12-2010 11:00 PM

Well same dyno different day I gained 10hp, lost 10tq... Who knows.

I have the grimmspeed ewg up pipe/dump tube and Tial MVS 38mm ewg. I like the grimmspeed pipe a lot.