Subaru WRX Forum banner

frustrated....and then some

9K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  flewthecoupe 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Been a long time since I've been around but got some good advice the last time I was on. Long story short, the '04 WRX EJ20 with spun bearings I asked about 3 years ago was left in parts and pieces in boxes. It is now up to me to get it rebuilt and back on the road. Been a long week trying to figure out what bolts and parts go where. It is now at the long block stage and also the "finding out what parts are missing" stage which is where I'm needing some help.

If any parts ar in or near the Colorado Springs area would be ideal but open to paying shipping to.

I'm needing these as a minimum, right now, and tomorrow I may spend a good part of the day on the phone with junkyards.

Alternator brackets (mounting and adjustment)
Crank pulley/harmonic balancer (honestly not sure if this is one or two pieces)
Turbo (maybe brackets, too)
Intercooler (maybe brackets, too)
2 valve cover bolts (may just get regular bolts and make them work)
Left side exhaust manifold

This is what I know I need but still fighting through figuring it all out since I didn't take it all apart...:confused:

Thanks for any help or finger pointing in the direction of a parts house/junk yard that may have this stuff.

Michael

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
and as I'm digging through parts manual pics that I can find on the internet... does the alternator have it's own bracket(s)? Or does it use the A/C bracket and the P/S pump bracket? I may be able to answer that tomorrow when I can get back out to look at the car as those two pieces still have they brackets attached in the car.

Edit: Okay... after looking at a hundred pics to find what I'm looking for it does appear the alternator fixed mount bolts to the A/C bracket and adjustment side is part of the P/S pump bracket.. still need to double check tomorrow.

#29 ·
I didn't retune mine for US fuel grades nor did I need the JDM wiring harness. I simply repinned the ECU and added the wires for the AVCS...Pretty straight forward install. Hardest part is repinning the damn ECU wiring....

#20 ·
Here it is almost October. Life get's in the way, sometimes. I finally got the engine in and figuring out where vacuum lines go, etc. Had a dog chew off the cable end for the alternator, both connectors are gone about 6 inches back. Anybody ever have replace connectors? Well, the fitted connector.. the other is a no brainer. Can the connector itself be purchased or are we looking at hacking a spare/junk harness? Also, would an STi BOV work okay with a standard WRX?

Thanks,
Michael

#21 ·
Reactions: mosc
#22 ·
Thanks titter. I've looked in the past and none.. I just now looked and there's an '04 WRX... feel like an idiot for not checking before posting but when you check for several months and they never have one... I'm guessing other models might even have the same connector. I'll have to see if I can get in there. Hope I can get the rest of what I need

#35 · (Edited)
Hunting and a trip to Mexico for a wedding took priority so back at it now...

Ok, the long end going into the firewall is for the boost gauge. End off the T appears to go to the BOV... still not sure where the other end off the T goes. Anymore ideas?

{disregard the red circles/lines and the superimposed turbo part of the pic}

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.