free / low cost mods - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
free / low cost mods

welp, ive had my 03 wrx for about as long as i can bare without moding SOMETHING. im doing my reserch on downpipes etc etc.

what i would like to know, is are there any free mods i can do? i know a lot of cars have restrictions in the air box, and i have heard people modify the wastegate to vent to the atmosphere instead of route back to the intake? or some such...

can anyone point me in the right direction? i did a search for free mods but couldent really find much

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
Free/low cost mods...hmmm...How about decals!!! !Laugh! J/K Or gangsta colored windsheild wipers!!!! . I really dont know of any. Sorry...
post #3 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
lol
yeah ill swing through kragen on my way home and get some red, double decker windshield wipers

that should add a couple hp
post #4 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

leewmlds is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
welp, ive had my 03 wrx for about as long as i can bare without moding SOMETHING. im doing my reserch on downpipes etc etc.

what i would like to know, is are there any free mods i can do? i know a lot of cars have restrictions in the air box, and i have heard people modify the wastegate to vent to the atmosphere instead of route back to the intake? or some such...

can anyone point me in the right direction? i did a search for free mods but couldent really find much

thx
the intake silencer removal is the only free mod that i can think of.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
there's alot of "little" differences you can make in the meantime, which are not free but next to free

you can open up your headlights, clear em, spray the housing gunmetal or black if you want

you can take off the emblems in the back for a cleaner look

spray your rims gunmetal or bronze

remove your intake silencer, which will give you the "intake" sound and fiercer turbo spool sound and still have your drop-in filter

do a search on all these things

i just got my wrx a few days ago and these are all thigns i plan on doing in the near future, happy "modding"

02 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue
post #6 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sweet, thx for all the sugestions.

anyone done the head light mod with a white car? i duno what color i would do.

have new velox wheels in the works

removing the emblems on the back..... *runs out to his car to takea look*
hm.... myabe....

looks like intake silancer is a defanite.
*searches*
post #7 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

*gasps*

40 BUCKS FOR A PLASTIC ELBOW!

*brakes out the PVC and duct tape*

watch out
post #8 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 PM

wrecker83 is an unknown
you dont need that stupid elbow. i have mine without that piece and it works just fine. ive read many times that spending the $40 was a waste of time and $$. but if you really NEED to spend the money, send it over here to where i live, ill make sure it gets used wisely.....like on gas or something....lol.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
if this $40 is for the intake silencer "mod", then that's a big waste

you can go on ebay and buy a short ram intake for less than $30, i'd rather spend money on that. honestly, an intake is just a filter on a pipe and the build quality isn't all that important for an intake. don't buy that elbow!

02 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue
post #10 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

aw crap. so we have reached the conflicting inormation portion of our thread.

as soon as i send this off im going to go look at the airbox and see what this is all about.

the $30 intake, im asuming any short ram with a K&N filter for a wrx will work. are there any to stay away from? i knowits just a pipe with a filter on it, but some pipes are nicer then others.
post #11 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
3/16 mod.

Also here's a good thread for ya:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ght=3%2F16+mod

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thx silver04, good thread. just not a lot of info. lots of sugestions but no how too's.

With a little elbow grease and a $4 piece of aluminum (and a Dremel tool) you can make your own intercooler air-splitter

that sounds neet but i have no idea what i would need to do.

Shifter bushing

sounds good, any info on the install?

Or oil drain plug (fumoto)

any serious pros to swaping the factory drain plug?

I would go with a short ram intake from ebay. I bought mine for only $60 and now I can heard my turbo spool alot louder. I personal would go with that.

I take that back. The intake I bought made my wrx loose huge amount of power. I got smoked by my friends integra. pretty bad yes!

is he being serious?/\
post #13 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 PM

wrecker83 is an unknown
youve got to do a search for the installs/directions on how to do those mods. the at least i know you can find out about the intercooler splitter, and the drain plug, but the shift bushings....i dunno ive never looked for it. scoobymods.com is a really good site for the do it yourself cheap mods.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
intake silencer removal is a must. easy too. I bought the elbow just to keep it looking stock for waurentee reasons but I wouldn't buy the elbow if i was you. Duck tape would work just fine.. 3/16 mod and your asking for trouble. not a good idea and short ram intake is probably even worse.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
Nose Nuggets (haha I love your s/n!) though this is a how-to on installing a full short shifter package w/ shifter bushings, if you decide to upgrade your shifter bushings for a more solid feel, this link will help you:

http://www.scoobymods.com/froums/sho...=&threadid=205

Honestly though, to get significant performance gains through safe means, whether it be power, handling or what have you, you need to dish out some cash to get high quality parts. But, if you're looking into downpipes and all, I would say go for a used one. The thing sits under your car for its whole life so nobody really gets to see it. Plus it doesn't get very worn from use if you ask me, so save some $$ and get a used one.