Subaru WRX Forum banner

FMIC or TMIC... which is better?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  psirrized 
#1 ·
Hi all. Which one is a better intercooler, front or top mount?
Better means cooler and better flow. I understand that TMIC is closer to the intake manifold than the FMIC but it is also closer to the engine.
I would like to go with FMIC but if a bigger TMIC(ie: TurboXS) is better I will stay with it.

WRXdude:cool:

#4 ·
Re: my 0.02

mikeWRX said:
FMIC => Cooler (Better Position, Less Heatsoak, More Airflow over Fins)
TMIC => Better Flow (Less Piping, Lower Pressure Drop, Less Lag)
Once again it depends on your plans for your car. Do you want more power or less lag?
Well said- short and concise. It all depends on your intended application(s). For me it was an easy decision- quick spooling turbo is paramount, thus my decision to stick w/ the oe TD04, injectors,pump. The oe TMIC will more than suffice for my needs (although I did upgrade the Y hose).

Big Sky

#5 ·
as mikewrx quoted earlier, and bigsky posted there after, that should pretty much sum it up, however bigsky also stated that it depends on what your intentions are later on down the road. Are you Planning on replacing the factory turbo and upgrading? then of course would you want to replace the tmic for the fmic, this is my opinion of course.

I replaced my tmic with the Blitz fmic, granted Im still using the stock turbo and injectors....I did lose some bottom end, but it wasnt as much as I thought it would be. Mid to top range did improve a bit. I just picked up the UTEC from TXS and Im now fine tuning my ecu with the mods that I have presently done. This will help as well..

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.