FMIC or TMIC - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
FMIC or TMIC

Hi all,

As im sure you have discovered I am farily new to the forum and I have lots of questions - sorry!

Anyways, if I were to do the "usual" 300AWHP engine mods - VF34, sti injectors, fuel pump, turbo back exhaust, intake, engine management and a good tune, what would be a good intercooler to match all this up with? Will a TMIC suffice with the functional hood scoop? or will you be able to get more HP out of a FIMC. I have learned that FMIC are more expensive, and are most likely more expensive to install. So, can you get the same HP numbers on the same setup with a TMIC instead of a FMIC? I also like the idea of a functional hood scoop feeding the IC, but if it isnt the best way to go then so be it!

I hear lots of people talking about the APS FMIC... but isnt that the one rated for 725HP on JSCspeed.com?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Last edited by Mark S.; 02-09-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-2005, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
The larger the intercooler, the more cooling it provides, and therefore the more power you can make.

However, with a VF34 you migh be okay with a TMIC. I have the APS DR650 FMIC and I love it. No more lag than the Hyperflow TMIC I had originially.

It basically comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
So do you think if I got a good TMIC, and a larger hood scoop, and saved myself $500-$700, I would have similar results to a FMIC? If the FMIC is slightly better, but if I can't tell the difference and the only difference is a few HP, then I would probably rather keep the $500 and put it towards something else.

Thanks,

Mark
post #4 of 8 Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
I honestly would just spend the money and go with a fmic.. because in the long run you will be happy you did..

1. fmic has the bling factor lol.

2. will not get heat soak like a tmic

3. will always cool better then a tmic

4. you can run higher boost with a fmic and still be safe.. where as a tmic would heat up faster and you would run into det..

5. people say you will get more lag with a fmic.. but i have a hyperflow fmic and a vf22.. i should have tons of lag according to alot of people .. but i still get full boost at 3700rpm..

6. looks alot cooler under the hood.. you have pipes bending everywhere and are really shiny.. again another bling factor.

7. if you want to go with a really big turbo later on.. you wont have to worry about it.. because any decent size fmic (APS / Hyperflow/ ect) can handle really big turbos.. and not have to worry about cooling down the hot air...

well if you really want to you can go with a bigger tmic.. alot of people have them and they work well.. just depends on what you want to do.. and how you want to spend you money.. imo a fmic is worth every penny..
post #5 of 8 Old 02-09-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Alright thanks - something to put some thought into for sure.

Mark
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2005, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Oops one more questions guys....with a FMIC, do I need a reverse hood scoop? (like the EVO)

Mark
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
you can keep the hood scoop if you want to.. you dont need a reverse hood scoop.. i have a hyper flow fmic with just the stock hood.. wont hurt anything keeps it looking sleeper until they see the fmic ..
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Cool, thankyou.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement