Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fmic

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cosmo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an FMIC ... but I've been reading some threads on here of ppl saying there lag on a "stock" setups would be bad ...

I know about turbos and supercharges ... and I know how they make power ... but I can't for the life of me, figure out why an FMIC on a stock car would be bad ... can some please explain this to me

thanks

- Steven

#2 ·
The only thing you will actually notice on a stock car with a FMIC is more lag. The stock TMIC is pretty free flowing and suits the stock turbo nicely. A FMIC on a stock car won't give you more power because all it is doing is cooling the air, which the TMIC already does an acceptable job of. It cannot increase the amount of air or fuel going into the engine, which is how power is made anyways. A good FMIC is only really necessary with a larger turbo when it will be sucking alot more air through, and that larger volume of air needs to be cooled.

Mark

#4 ·
fmic

stvWRX said:
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an FMIC ... but I've been reading some threads on here of ppl saying there lag on a "stock" setups would be bad ...

I know about turbos and supercharges ... and I know how they make power ... but I can't for the life of me, figure out why an FMIC on a stock car would be bad ... can some please explain this to me

thanks

- Steven
i have a stock turbo and when i didnt have a complete exhaust the lag was pretty bad i have a tuboxs fmic and i have no problems im also boosting at 17psi with no tune and are gettting high 13 so dont listen to any but your self if u want a front mount then get one cause it sets u up when u want to go biiger !Thumbs Up

#6 ·
subiewood said:
i have a stock turbo and when i didnt have a complete exhaust the lag was pretty bad i have a tuboxs fmic and i have no problems im also boosting at 17psi with no tune and are gettting high 13 so dont listen to any but your self if u want a front mount then get one cause it sets u up when u want to go biiger !Thumbs Up
1/4 times have nothing to do with lag. The fastest imports in the 1/4 have turbos that kick in at 5k RPMs+, which isn't realistically "streetable". Not saying FMIC's are useless, just that that's a bad way to guage..

#8 ·
An EGT gauge has nothing to do with it. Many people claim that they know their engine is tuned right because of EGT readings. While it's true that lean conditions can cause higher EGT's, so can retarded timing. You can keep the fuel the same, and increase or decrease timing and change the EGT's. A wideband O2 gauge is the only safe way to know.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.