Subaru WRX Forum banner

flat 6

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
this is just an idea, but i was thinking of putting the flat 6 in my wagon and turbo charging it. Is that something that is possible? I saw it about 2 years ago in a mag, but they didn't go into to much detail. What would i need to do the swap and how much $$$do you guys think it will cost. I just want everyone's opinon. Also will i be able to get more hp out of the flat 6 vs. the 2.5.

#2 ·
if you want a 6, the best choice is the 3.0L H6 from a legacy/tribeca. It's a boxer motor and should fit under your hood without too much playing around. It's high compression though so it's not a high end beast. You'll get gains easier out of a 2.5L short block. If you really want to spend some money, there are some 2.65L or 2.8L boxer-4 custom blocks from ppl like crawford that are hard to beat compared to ANYTHING. They handle high rpms, massive boost, etc.

#4 ·
what kind of $$$$are we talking? If i sell my motor and tranny, would that just about pay for the swap? Also could it be used as a weekend driver. How much could i sell a 2.0 turbo with 20,000 miles on engine and tranny? Thanks again everyone for the help

#5 ·
If you go to their website (at least Cobbs) the engines are there for you to look over and read about. Im not sure about selling your engine and all, how much that would go for. Sorry about not being much help there.

#9 ·
perrin did it in an sti. they dropped in the h6 from the tribeca. they sleeved it did pistons, rods knife edged crank the whole 9 yards. your talking huge money. they had a ton of trouble getting it to fit and with little misc. crap theres a big long post on nasioc about it.

#10 ·
yea i saw it in an issue of super street, but they didn't go into to much detail. And as far as the wife thing goes, i'm in the same boat, plus we have a kid on the way. I was just figuring if i sold my motor and trans that it would just about pay for the swap minus the install. And after seeing some of those block prices on cobb i don't think i'll be doing it. I really do appreciate the feedback. You guys have been great and brought me back down to reality. I was on cloud 9 with that idea. Thanks again

#11 ·
They also didn't put out as much power as a 2.5L with a GT35R can.. The 3.0 has more TQ down low but it's also heavier.. With the time and money it would cost I personally don't see the benifit after I looked into it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.