Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   First BOV, trouble finding (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/first-bov-trouble-finding-31109/)

Msegars88 07-28-2011 01:26 PM

First BOV, trouble finding

I have been on this forum and many others trying to find what would be best. I want to get a BOV for my stock 2002 WRX wagon. From reading I need to get a recirc valve.
I dont need a write up about how I shouldnt get one or anything negitive. I just simplely want to get one that recics and has a nice pshht so it. Direct bolt-on. A link to what I should get would be nice.

RcrsWetDream 07-28-2011 01:36 PM

Well if you get a fully recirc valve you won't get the noise your after. For the noise you'll need to either get an aftermarket intake which whill allow the noise to come out through the intake, or get a hybrid valve like the COBB XLE that vents to atmosphere only on high boost shifts. Under normal load it is fully recirculating, but if you get on it and shift it opens enough to recirculate and blow some to the atmosphere. You also have the option with that valve to go fully recirculating if you need to.

[url=http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5065]CobbTuning.com - XLE BPV[/url]

I'm sure there are other hybrid valves out there for less money but COBB is the one that comes to mind.

black beast2 07-28-2011 07:01 PM

I have the Cobb xle and it sounds great on full recirculate mode not loud tho so probably not what you want. I tried it on 50/50 mode and did not like how it sounded at all plus it made my car after fire all the time. Do to the lack of performance on 50/50 mode I have yet to try the full atmosphere mode so I have no idea how that sounds.. If you really want the noise then go with the GFB hybrid BOV, I had one before I got the Cobb and it was awesome on the 50/50 mode almost never had after fire problems and it sounded great. Only down fall is when you start to get highly modified the GFB will start to leak on you, mine was good up till like 325whp or so, so it should be fine for your application.

newtothegame 07-28-2011 10:00 PM

I run the Cobb XLE BOV on 50/50 in my modified 07 with no adverse effects. This after being tuned with a Perrin BPV on the car. I have a wideband and EGT gauge on my car and there is no difference between running it full recirc or 50/50, and my car hasnt suffered from afterfires due to the BPV. But of course each car does react differently. Like suggested above I would either get a Cobb SRI, or modify your intake box and it will give you the same effect with no worries at all to the car.

black beast2 07-29-2011 01:18 AM

^thats good To know I'm gonna try my on 50/50 agin and see what happens, the first time i tried was just after i got tuned and i only ran it for a couple of spirited runs before switching it back because of the afterfiring. I like the sound of a little blowoff and my wife really wants the sound back.

Newtothegame, when running the XLE in hybrid mode do you just leave the plate off and that's it? Because I'm afraid of getting junk in it with it just being open with no horn or anything in there. My GFB had a horn that screwed on when running it in 50/50 mode and it seemed like a much more reliable set up.

newtothegame 07-29-2011 06:25 PM

[quote=black beast2;265158]^thats good To know I'm gonna try my on 50/50 agin and see what happens, the first time i tried was just after i got tuned and i only ran it for a couple of spirited runs before switching it back because of the afterfiring. I like the sound of a little blowoff and my wife really wants the sound back.

Newtothegame, when running the XLE in hybrid mode do you just leave the plate off and that's it? Because I'm afraid of getting junk in it with it just being open with no horn or anything in there. My GFB had a horn that screwed on when running it in 50/50 mode and it seemed like a much more reliable set up.[/quote]

I just take the plate off. The piston stays close 99% of the time for me as I try to stay out of boost to save on gas. Mine opens up around 10PSI, so its kind of easy to keep it recirculated. To be honest of all I have heard in person, the Cobb is my favorite.

1slowru 11-09-2011 11:10 AM

Get a turbosmart dual port. at normal load it will recirc, but at full boost it will release and sounds amazing. they hold high boost very well.

wagonracer 11-09-2011 05:57 PM

I ran a GFB hybrid when I was a young punk and enjoyed the sound for a summer. If I have another mid-life crisis, I would buy another !Thumbs Up

ejs0806 11-10-2011 04:49 PM

[quote=Msegars88;265126]I have been on this forum and many others trying to find what would be best. I want to get a BOV for my stock 2002 WRX wagon. From reading I need to get a recirc valve.
I dont need a write up about how I shouldnt get one or anything negitive. I just simplely want to get one that recics and has a nice pshht so it. Direct bolt-on. A link to what I should get would be nice.[/quote]

im running a blitz 100% atmospheric with no side effects some people have problems but i didnt notice a change whatsoever. I was gunna go recirc but i ended up finding a stupidly amazing deal locally for a midpipe back exhaust and bov for like $100 so i didnt have much to loose for trying it. And you can tune how loud the air is and stuff but also its not bad if your cruising but if you are jamming gears it screams pretty good lol