Subaru WRX Forum banner

Favorite heat shield

9K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
What is everyones favorite aftermarket heat shield and why?

#3 ·
Too funny, I just pulled my OE one out of the basement last night. Planned on modding it to work tonight. Prob install it tomorrow. I've only had a blanket on mine until now. Just too busy all the time to mod it.

The OE one fits best OP and actually covers the turbo. All the aftermarket ones are pretty useless. With VERY minimal mods the OE will bolt right back on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
A blanket is best. Then the stock shield. The SPT is ornamental and supposed to be installed on top of the factory shield. The Cusco, Cobb, and GS heat shield all have less coverage than the stock one. There was an old one that worked very well but it's no longer made and only worked with the stock GD WRX TMICs. The Speed Monkee Chimney Heatshield.

#8 ·
Two of my biggest regrets were buying Cobb's turbo heat shield and GrimmSpeed's turbo heat shield. Although they both looked really good, they didn't perform nearly as well as a modified stock heat shield would have. I ended up recycling my stock heat shield because it had some surface rust and the Cobb heat shield because I scratched it pretty bad at my local scrap yard for a few cents and I sold my GrimmSpeed heat shield. I currently have a Prosport turbo blanket and I'm pretty happy with that.

#24 ·
#11 ·
That's the exact one I used last night for reference. Def a good write up. I'm in the process of painting mine black now. Should have it back on this week sometime.

And by the looks of the OP's avatar I'm guessing the fab work needed may be a little different than ours. I'm sure there's a how to for bug eyes too.

#17 ·
I'm personally using regular paint, although if I didn't have the blanket on there and was souly using the shield I'd say some high temp paint might be a good idea.

Paint is drying on mine. I'll post pics in this thread and also my build thread. Prob tomorrow though by the time paint dries. Just put the last coat on so I can drop the vinyl down and clear it tomorrow.

#23 ·
I went with a turbo blanket. The stock heat shield bolts were seized when we removed it to replace the up-pipe, and it was trash afterwards. The aftermarket heat shields are primarily for aesthetics, and so should be used in conjunction with a turbo blanket (or the OEM heat shield).

#26 ·
Yea,The problem is on my end. I downloaded windows.7.codec.pack.v4.0.9. BIG MISTAKE!!! It completely screwed up my computer! This will take hours to fix. I don't even know where to start, thanks.

#29 ·
I'm glad this subject was brought up because I don't really know what heat soak is. I never had a heat shield until I got my wrx tuned and my tuner advised me to get the grimmspeed heat shield so I did. Later I read, as people have posted, that the best thing to do is modify the stock one since it works better. How would I know if I'm experiencing heat soak?

#31 ·
It's 90deg outside,your at a fast food pickup window line,you finally get your food and go to pull out into the street,you try to beat the traffic out of the drive,you hit the gas and NOTHING!! Then a semi hits you broadside and you DIE from heat soak. Oh wait,it's a Subrau...they lived.:D

#30 ·
a codec pack shouldnt stop u from viewing websites without audio or video. have you tried downloading the new firrefox browser? i can view the site as well with firefox.

It wasn't the codec pac. It was the crap that came with it on the install that screwed with my browser. I removed everything related to the codec pac and reloaded Firefox. now everything is OK. Beware of windows.7.codec.pack.v4.0.9. The internet is a buzz with people having the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.