Fan for IC again - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Fan for IC again

I read a thread on this before but it didnt help. Im set on the idea that fast fans (ontop or below the IC) would make for less heat soak. Does anyone make fans for the IC. Has anyone tried it. It seems to me the only problem is the fans slowing down air flow at higher speeds. So any thoughts?
Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 02:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Ever try a computer fan?? You can probably pick one up used for like $5 or free. The only advantage I can see is that when stopped the fan could be turned on to prevent heat soak to a degree, but not completely, it just wouldn't flow enough air. At high speed however I think it would be in the way more then anything and would disrupt the air flow over the intercooler. If you are really thinking about putting fans on the intercooler maybe just spend a little more and get a CO2 kit to keep the temps down.

Last edited by WRXtreme; 02-08-2005 at 02:52 AM. Reason: forgot an important "n't"
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
They won't help. The very small gains they would give would be negated at speed. Having done a test with my stock intercooler involving an indoor/outdoor thermometer, I can tell you that once you are moving for more than a few seconds, the intercooler is cool again.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
So from what i can figure in my calculations through the hood scoop at about 135mph there can be about 2400 cfm of air flow. If this is the amount of air going across the IC then there are 7"-10" fans that can flow 2500 cfm. They wont fit though so i was thinking that two smaller 6" fans will do, or one on top and one on bottom of the IC will pull enough together. It seems people with different types of cars have put fans on the IC. So i think there must be some way to do it.
-Jacob
post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_2NR is an unknown
From my understanding is if you put a fan on the intercooler is will actually block more air than it can flow, thus adding no extra features but blocking up the intercoolers air flow

I wouldn't suggest doing this, you'd end up spending more money on fans to test this theroy, and you'll find out that the fans aren't worth it.

The only time this might be benifical would be if you had a front mount. If you add a fan to the BACK side of the intercooler you can suck more air through the core, but on a top mount your going to need some really small little fans under the core and blow the air onto the intake manifold. You probably won't be able to find a fan that will flow the CFM needed being that the fans will be too small. Plus the added gains for doing thsi are negligable.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

liquidpopp3r is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to liquidpopp3r
i say since you dont have much done...it doesnt really matter. but if youre really worried just get an sti hoodscoop or get that spray that sprays water on the intercooler
post #7 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_2NR
The only time this might be benifical would be if you had a front mount. If you add a fan to the BACK side of the intercooler you can suck more air through the core

watching intake air temps on my laptop, it takes two minutes of sitting still for the intake air temps to go up, so its pointless to get a fan on a fmic

as for the top mount, why not make a sprayer?