extreme NOOB please help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

denverliciou is an unknown
extreme NOOB please help

alright whats up guys..as you can see i own a 98 m3 right now and im lookin to get a new car preferably an 05 wrx sti. so my question is what are the known good brands for this car? ive seen gpmoto, perrin, and all the other big name brands. im basically looking to get my car breathing just right to start off. intake, header, exhaust. then coil over, then once i feel im ready i want to upgrade to a bigger turbo. can anyone give me a good upgrade path with brands please? i was thinking gpmoto turbo exhaust, gpmoto headers, injen up pipe and crossover pipe, not sure yet about the intake. im not sure if these are good. can someone help me out please

thanks

denver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2005, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

LilSix is an unknown
On these type of cars they usually don't recommend cold-air intakes. They tend to lean out your air-fuel ratio. People usually get what's called a short-ram intake. But, you only need that if you have a front mount intercooler. Also, headers wont really help you unless you go with a bigger turbo and stuff like that. Save that money for some type of engine mangement which will gain you the most power.
#3 Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Sounds like you need to do some reading. Tuning a WRX is a very much different from a typical import. Sure there are similarities, but if you take say a Honda tuning path that could very much improve your Honda, it could ultimatly destroy a WRX. There is a lot of good information on this site. I recommend a coke, some popcorn, and a comfy mouse pad. Then after that, if you have any specific questions, we'd be glad to help.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

thx for the help guys..i just read through that long thread in the FAQ section. took me forever to get through it and now i understand a lil better what i need to do.. i dont think i was to far off though in my original post. so now that i know my upgrade path. i was wondering what brands are acutally good? like does it make a difference whether i choose HKS or gpmoto? you know what i mean?
#5 Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
It depends for what piece. HKS makes a nice catback, decent uppipe, but terrible DP. Some of the most common brands are Helix, Turbo XS, Perrin and Cobb. Take a look at their sites and if you have any specific questions like Vew said, we will be glad to help you. Do you have anything done to your M3? Do you Auto X it?
#6 Old 02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

nope i never had enough money to autox is. it's just to much especially since my M was a daily driver. just didnt have the time. but i plan on doing some serious track time once i get my sti