extra boost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

HRTATAK is an unknown
Has anyone tried this trick yet? It seems to work on my car. Got it from i-club....there is a gray hose that is connected to a black hose close to the turbo....disconnect the hoses leaving the connecter in the gray hose...seems to give it more boost....judging by my factory boost gauge.....but the boost comes on even at part throttle....this is probably not good....tell me what you guys think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Hrm, how much extra boost are you seeing? You really shouldn't run too much more then stock, and not having control over the boost setting is kind of risky don't you think? You can get a MBC pretty cheap if you don't go the colored aluminum route. Of course, you'll still have the full boost at partial throttle problem.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
FYI - what you are doing is bleeding the boost pressure going to the wastegate. What this does is increases the amount of boost pressure needed to activate the wastegate since you are continuosly venting some of the pressure to the atmosphere. It will work to increase boost, but I think it is way more risk than I would be willing to take with my engine. By spending about $30 for parts you can make yourself a combination ball and spring /bleed type MBC that will keep boost low at part throttle but go much higher at full throttle.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

HRTATAK is an unknown
yea even at half throrrle in any gear the boost would jump to well over 16. The car feels good, but I thought this may be risky.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrxer Send a message via Yahoo to wrxer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried this trick yet? It seems to work on my car. Got it from i-club....there is a gray hose that is connected to a black hose close to the turbo....disconnect the hoses leaving the connecter in the gray hose...seems to give it more boost....judging by my factory boost gauge.....but the boost comes on even at part throttle....this is probably not good....tell me what you guys think
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the same thing. i took the car on the highway and was taking off when suddenly the car bucked and the check engine light came on. Seems like the turbo is being pushed too much. Funny i found this because it happend to me just 1 hour ago
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2002, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrxer Send a message via Yahoo to wrxer
extra boost.

i did the same mod and been speaking to people about it. It's not good. My check engine light came on and the fuel cut off kicked at higher rpms. you can changr the coupler between the grey and black hose and put a 3/16' coupler. The turbo is available under 2,000 rpm and the boost does'nt get to high where the fuel cut off will kick in.

there is info about it here www.boostmonkey.com. click on install.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2002, 07:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

hardwyre7 is an unknown
What you fellas are experiencing is known as fuel cut...not a good thing and will cause things to break by overheating many internals...put the hose back on or get a MBC
post #8 of 8 Old 11-16-2002, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

zcwrx is an unknown
I just experienced fuel cut off for 1st time now only 1/2 boost.

wtf?

15.11 @89.98 2.06 60'4800ft above sea level-bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement