Exhaust tests in Turbo mag - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2003, 05:21 PM
PJC
WRXtuners Member

PJC is an unknown
Exhaust tests in Turbo mag

Okay I've got my boost gauge in and K&N filter in, and it seems like exhaust including up pipe is the next best bang for the buck mod. I want to install a turbo back exhaust but want to get some feedback re: CEL from guys w/ this mod. Does your turbo back exh throw CE light? How much boost increase did you see with the new exhaust. My HKS boost gauge tells me I have 13.5 PSI (max) boost (floored in 5th on highway) now so I'm wondering if a new system will trip the fuel cut off at 17PSI is it?

I have the may issue of turbo mag which test 7 WRX exhaust systems (minus up pipes)...seems like HKS wins hp/$ contest, except this is an aluminum system which will rust on the salty roads of RI? Kakimoto titinuim makes the most HP but its $2G's so that's out! The turboXS exhaust shows it moves max boost up to 17PSI, which is weird because it does not make the most HP, but seems pretty good for $1100!

Please help me decide!

Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2003, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I generally like HKS stuff, but I wouldn't get their downpipe. The mouth (where it meets the turbo) is small. It doesn't have any provisions for the wastegate. If you really want the HKS, use another downpipe with it.

I'm getting ready to order a TurboXS system. It makes good power, but isn't obnoxiously loud. Most of the systems out there are aluminized steel or staniless, so weather usually isn't a problem. But, just make sure before you buy it.
#3 Old 03-21-2003, 07:30 PM
PJC
WRXtuners Member

PJC is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

I'm getting ready to order a TurboXS system. It makes good power, but isn't obnoxiously loud................
Do you think you can find the TXS system for less than $1,000??? I've read the mag prices can be beaten online ???
#4 Old 03-21-2003, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

topDog is an unknown
I recomend the HKS carbon-titanium cat-back and turboxs up pipes mid pipes and downpipe
#5 Old 03-21-2003, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by PJC

Do you think you can find the TXS system for less than $1,000??? I've read the mag prices can be beaten online ???
The cheapest I've seen it is $1036 for the catless version at www.worldoneperformance.com
#6 Old 03-25-2003, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

-l/l/rX- is an unknown
IMO....i personally would never get a turbo back just for enviromental reasons...and some people i know say that theirs sound like v8's....in this case, i've bought a catback....and soon to be buying a down pipe with a hi flo cat in it....soo i'll be taking out my third cat, but yet still have 2 left.

o and BTW....make sure that 17psi wont do much stress on the engine

-ImpRezZive l/l/rX-
#7 Old 03-28-2003, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
my friend look closely to that test again the hks is way back in hp /tq the turbo xs not on the top of hp gains but sure enough on the tq figures and that my friend its what you need to look in order to make this car move fast onmy car w an up pipe the boost gauge in 4 gear floored is 14 # and yes the cel light will come on turbo xs complete w one cat
#8 Old 03-30-2003, 06:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

dolbnyc is an unknown
go with the Turbo XS stage 2 package.
then with the Utec, you can get the max out of the whole package.
if you can
d
#9 Old 03-30-2003, 09:11 AM
PJC
WRXtuners Member

PJC is an unknown
The search for more HP continues

After looking at the graphs more closely, the TurboXS looks pretty good, but I don't want to be looking at the CEL? Kakimoto system obviously produces most power and Tq - anyone have this, how was install, how load is it - must be rude?

Also, someone suggested The Prodrive Performance pack (270hp) which is a ecu re-program and cat bak (lreaves stock downpipe in place) - anyone have this setup?

I'm prpobably beeing very picky about what I install, but I have to drive tghis car to wrok every day so I can't afford to just slap on any mod.

Appreciate all the help/replies.
#10 Old 03-30-2003, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
kakimoto shows more hp not torque all the exaust will turn the cel on but if you onstall a utec you can get rid of this anoying thing
#11 Old 03-31-2003, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

A lot of companies offer a resistor to fix the CEL problem. Check into it before you buy something.

About the Kakimoto... it is WAY too loud for every day driving, in my opinion. I saw one the other day, and it sounded nice, but REALLY loud.
#12 Old 04-02-2003, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
You might look into the brospeed exhaust cat back system, you can also use there devorced waste gate down pipe, system looks stock from behind, sounds good not to loud, Brospeed is who makes the oem sti exhaust for Subaru and has in house dyno, They have spent more time testing and tuning than prob anyone. Not to mention if they make oem parts, there is a really good chance your not gonna have the aftermarket blues on the way they fit or reliability issues. Full stainless system.
#13 Old 04-02-2003, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Does brospeed have a web site?
#14 Old 04-03-2003, 07:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
TXS is the way to go, stage 2. With the UTEC you can program timing, fuel, and boost maps. You can switch between setups, control optional solinods, and even remove the CEL with the computer. With stage to your looking at 309 HP, which is WAY ABOVE STOCK (227) for a little over $2k.

PS. Keep the stock intake until you upgrade fuel rail + inj + pump
#15 Old 04-04-2003, 07:56 PM
PJC
WRXtuners Member

PJC is an unknown
Here's what I think I want - tell me if this makes any sense....a 3rd cat eliminator (catless mid-pipe $160) and a cat back system (still dizzy trying to pick 'cause I really want more power without a sewer pipe tip?) - does anyone have a setup like this...or is that a waste of money;i.e. is it just better and cheaper to get the TXS turbo back.

I really don't know who's going to install this yet - there are no tuner shops around here!