Exhaust Questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

insanity500 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to insanity500
Exhaust Questions

I have been looking into exhausts for some time now. I have gathered that when you buy a downpipe (such as the helix dp) it replaces both the actual download and the midpipe. My question is - Can I buy a catless downpipe and either keep the stock midpipe or get a high flow cat midpipe? I would like to have one cat in my system, so that I can at least pass a visual inspection.
Also, for downpipes like the helix high flow catted dp, would that be seen during a visual inspection? Which end of the pipe is it?
For the separate downpipe/midpipes, what brand would be good to go with? (most places I have seen only sell the one piece downpipe)
And for my last question - Does having one high flow cat in there affect the performance at all? I wouldn't mind losing a couple hp to put my mind at ease.
Thanks!

(I have already decided that I am going with the Helix flex uppipe)

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
You can get "shorty" downpipes that just replace the downpipe and not the midpipe. I think Bosal makes one.....

The highflow cat in the Helix downpipe is 8"-10" from the bellmouth, you could see it, but its not going to be right in front of you like the stockers.

Getting a catted downpipe will hurt your performance slightly, but you shouldn't be able to notice it. You might loose a few HP, but nothing major.

If I were to get a catted downpipe, I would go with a Helix. Great quality and easy on the pocket.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

slug1 is an unknown
I run a helix uppipe and catted downpipe. I still have really good performance from them. And from inspection you can see the cat and point it out if anybody asks. I also am along your lines of thinking that a few less HP for piece of mind. Also with one cat you don't get black clouds of smoke or flames out of your exhaust. Go with the helix downpipe, you'll love it!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I would go with the Helix catted DP if I were you, quility and piece of mind

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #5 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

fastmatt is an unknown
ya...I would get the helix cated one..Its not worth it..beleave me..the ticket is a pocket robber
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I would get something other than the Helix catted. I like the cat farther down in the exhaust, like in the midpipe, not right by the exhaust of the turbo. Just my .02 thouhg. I have a TurboXS turboback, with both the catted midpipe for races and then catless for every day.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

insanity500 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to insanity500
Is your catted midpipe stock or from turboxs (if from turboxs, is it a high flow?)

-Chris
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity500
Is your catted midpipe stock or from turboxs (if from turboxs, is it a high flow?)
I would be inclined to say that it is from Turbo XS seeing as how they don't run their exhaust path the same as stock. You pretty much have to use a complete TXS TBE or you need to get and adapter pipe to run a different catback with the TXS downpipe. Not sure if you can run a different brand downpipe with a TXS catback or not.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Abismo is an unknown
Quote:
I have a TurboXS turboback, with both the catted midpipe for races and then catless for every day.
Don't you mean catless for races and catted for every day?