Exhaust question. Yes I searched. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The resistor mod is semi popular with the older models as they can get away with a TBE/DP with no EM. You will see more gains with some type of tune regardless of the path yo choose. Its all in what/how you feel you should really go with the car. You should start to consider the up pipe also though as a precautionary thing. Just so you have piece of mind that the pre-turbo cat wont bust upand get sucked up into your turbo.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
I wouldn't ruin the COBB exhaust!

OP: I would just wait to put the downpipe on when/if you get the AP/EM. You could just put the catback on for now and wait till you get the money for AP/EM. Then when you get it, just install the DP. I haven't really read into the resistor mod, so sorry.

Thanks. Thats sounds alot easier to do so I think thats my plan for now. Thanks for all the help guys.
#18 Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
I myself am thinking about purchasing the SR*S uppipe. its cheap and the company has a damn good satisfaction record. anyway, removing the old oem uppipe and replacing it with a aftermarket uppipe will throw a cel correct ? because there is no cat. so if i were to take my suby to a tuner afterwards, would he be able to hide the cel from this or would i need a ap or an em tool ?
#19 Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
what i did is drilled out a spark plug defouler and screwed the 02 sensor into it and screwed the defouler into the 02 bung. you can get one at napa or were ever. and you might have some boost fluxuation when you do the downpipe but nothing big.

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
#20 Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
thats cool and all but it didnt really answer my question haha. i mean id love to do that but i would have to read a write up on it and buy a better drill then the one i have probably. just wondering if there is a cheaper way out of a cel then the EM tool.
#21 Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
I ran the anti-fouler metheod. for a time it worked. but i kept throwing a code after a week. The Cobb AP will take care of it since both the stage 1 and 2 maps have a code delete for the rear 02 and the EGT sensor in the uppipe. cobb stage 2 map notes stage 1 is less aggressive and is designed without the down pipe. plus the cobb ap has an abundance of new options since the last update see here
personally i'm running this downpipe Invidia Catless Downpipe. Its cheap and so far i haven't had any problems with corrosion from the salt/de-icer mix that they put on the roads here in MT.

your comment about throwing a CEL for putting in an aftermarket up-pipe is mostly incorrect. your only going to throw a CEL if you removed the EGT sensor. which most people on here would tell you to do if you replace the up-pipe. not from removing the CAT
#22 Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
CEL's on Catless

I have had no problem with a check engine light after I installed catless up and downpipes 600 mi ago. I utilized a 'HELP' brand Spark Plug Non Foulers. (i.e. a O2 sensor bung extender.) And a 2.2 K Ohm resistor in the place of the EGT sensor. I'm yet to get a tune on it but I have had a CRAP LOAD more power and love it!http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif
#23 Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
wait till you get a tune for it. way more power.
#24 Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's been about 3-4 years since I did this, so I could be mistaken. I believe that the resistor mod (which I am using) is for the EGT sensor in the UP. The o2 sensor in DP needs to stay. You can search resistor mod and get the right info on that.

Pagosa Springs, huh ? I'm not that far away in Taos, N.M. and will be coming through your way, taking my daughter to a hockey tournament in Durango in a couple of weeks. Feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to help. BTW, I'm using an Ebay DP (meghan copy) and have run the cheapo N1 copy catback exhaust on my car, and there's nothing wrong with the low budg parts. You might be able to find a deal on an older AP too (used)