Exhaust Question Thingy - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Morgan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Morgan
Hiyas. The cat-back exhaust I wanted is finally out, but I've been looking turbo-back systems, and was wondering if it's possible to get the cat back that I wanted, and yet get the parts that a turbo back provide. I'm not even really sure what all the necessary parts are in an exhaust system. Also with uppipes, I've been noticing that most of them are catless. Aren't there any that have cats? x.x I still need to pass emissions. Ermm unless that passes emissions already? Anyway, help meee help meeeeee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Morgan-

Which cat back are you planning on getting? I've read that most European and Japanese exhaust systems are interchangeable, but most US systems don't work well with parts from different vendors.

FYI: The way the WRX's exhaust is built is as follows. You start with the exhaust headers, uppipe, turbo, downpipe, midpipe, muffler.

If you are getting a catback its most likely just the muffler section. It'll give you the cool sound, but you'd need a downpipe and midpipe to really gain any performance.

The uppipes people are selling are catless because, having a cat before the turbo isn't very good for EGTs and turbo spool up. Removing the cat frees up the airflow to the turbo by a noticable amount.

Hope that all helps.
#3 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Oh and the emissions thing. Well if you only replace the muffler and uppipe you'd still have 2 cats on your car. That should be enough (but no guarantees). The small cat in the uppipe is only to reduce emissions at startup.
#4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Morgan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Morgan
Thanks a lot for your help, Gerlando, I really appreciate it. As for the cat-back I was going to get, it was the Tanabe R-Medallion. But after reading that, I'm just thinking about going with the MRT Turbo-back exhaust. Just emm, gotta get the money for it first. Heh-heh. Thanks again.

If it's jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
#5 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Morgan-

Sounds like a good idea, and remember to get an uppipe while you're at it! I did my uppipe after doing my turbo back and you can feel a huge difference!