exhaust Question!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-19-2002, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

silverbull is an unknown
Question exhaust Question!!!

id like to hear everyones imput on this one please
im thinking of mods for my 03 wrx and my biggest problem is exhaust. my question is about the turbo back compared to the cat back
im from CA, and dont know whats smog freindly and whats not. i have a feeling that they are not but i dont know.
which one is better performance and how much of a diff is there?

thx a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-19-2002, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
Turbo back is better for performance, cat back is better for smog. The power difference is around 10 - 15 HP depending on manufacturer. A cat back will get you about 2-5 HP while a turbo back can get you around 10 - 20 hp depending on manufacturer and if you keep a cat or not.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 03:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostedBoxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBoxer
you can get a catback...and then add a downpipe and test pipe or race cat......and make it a turbo back....

i dunno if that made any sense but it did to me...

"pure adrenaline attached to a license plate...isn't it time to experience one yourself?" - Dan Gurney

|-Boost Is Bliss-|
post #4 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 07:43 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Get a turboback with a hiflow cat and you should be good. Even if you aren't, smog checks are only once every 4 years

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #5 of 16 Old 12-04-2002, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

mrfd3s is an unknown
WHat is the difference between a catback and turbo back?
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-2002, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
my understanding is...

turbo back is a high flow system replacement sarting with the down pipe that comes off the turbo outlet, and then carries all the way through the tailpipe.

cat back system exludes the highflow downpipe and originates at the third catalytic converter w/high flow and then carries to the tailpipe.

logically, the turbo back is more expensive, as it includes additional piceces, and opens up the exhaust more fully.

if you really want the whole 9 yards, start w/complete exhaust system.
That's the high flow catless up-pipe (from engine to turbo inlet), downpipe (turbo outlet), and then continuing all the way back. throw on cold air intake, and your REX will be seriously juiced. and sound phenomenal too. the catless up-pipe will help greatly by eliminating some of the low rpm annoying turbo lag. About $1300 for complete exhaust including up pipe. depending on manufacturer.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-08-2002, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
stock exhaust welded?

does anyone know if the stock exhaust on 02 is welded together. i assume it is. but have not checked. how the heck do you get it apart?
plasma cutter? hack saw? got me.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-08-2002, 03:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostedBoxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBoxer
turboback=catback+downpipe+highflow cat(or test pipe)

and the rear section is bolted on.....i dunno about the midpipe or the other pieces

"pure adrenaline attached to a license plate...isn't it time to experience one yourself?" - Dan Gurney

|-Boost Is Bliss-|
post #9 of 16 Old 12-18-2002, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

RLsChMiDt is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to RLsChMiDt
Question Turbo-Back Question

I'm gettin a Turbo-Back exhaust system, but I don't know from who. Any suggestions on what manufacturer makes a real good turbo back system for the money? Howabout the smog issue. I live in ohio, and I wanna know what cats i can get rid of and still pass emissions. Cus the less amount of cats in the system=better flow which then equates to MORE HP!!! ...but please...serious advice is needed from some serious rex'ers out there!
post #10 of 16 Old 12-19-2002, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

I just bought the TurboXS

hey,

I live in Ohio too. I just bought the TurboXS turbo back system w/straight-through race pipe (eliminates cat 3, cheaper, and better flow too)... Here's the nice deal if you live in Ohio, WRX is E-check exempt because it is All-time All wheel drive... E-check (due to be cancelled when their contract is up in 2005 w/the state) does not possess the dyno-system to test an all wheel drive vehicle... So go for it w/the best highest flow system. get rid of all the cats, i intend to, best flow. And only way you will get yourself in trouble is if the po-po's pull you over and check under your car w/a mirror for a catylitic converter (one is required by law)... The TurboXS has had some great reveiws and at NipponPower.com you can get it for the best value. I paid like $950 shipped. And they taper the downpipe from 4' at the turbo outlet, some others don't do that.... If you have $$$ to blow, get the MRT (very pricey but...) they go one step further and offer a race-style separated downpipe (separates the waste gate gases from exhaust gate gases for up to 500mm)... TurboXS show dyno results on their site for 26HP gain at the wheels, pretty significant i would say... That's my $95,000cents worth...haven't installed yet, so i can't speak to its actual performance yet, but i sure can't wait...
post #11 of 16 Old 12-19-2002, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

By the way,

I see you listed Cleveland Ohio... where abouts in cleveland?
I live in Aurora, do you know where that is? We should get together come summer time and do some cruising around... By that time I will have my car almost to the point I'm looking to take it... I have erebuni ground effects kit, Bomz racing CAI, Denso Irridium Spark Plugs, and soon to have the TurboXS exhaust and Roof Scoop (just for looks) installed... How's the 2003 drive, i'm curious to see if any significant changes have been made since the 02 version... I got mine in oct 2001 and have already scooted to about 25000 miles... i just can't stop driving it... funnest affordable car on earth as far as i'm concerned...
If you have the cash, pick up some winter tires, it will feel unstoppable in the snow... and fore-warning, be careful with the stock tires, all wheel drive helps, but don't let it give you false sense of security, those tires are mostly for the wet/dry street, not snow-covered, i found that out the hard way in the ditch last winter. Drop me email if you want to drive,,, rserragl@netzero.net
post #12 of 16 Old 12-19-2002, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RLsChMiDt is an unknown
Yeah, I know exactly where Aurora is. Lol, I pick up my 03 on saturday...two days away. So i can't tell ya how it drives, but I'll be happy to real soon. My first mod is going to be ground effects and then an Up-pipe. Any suggestions for my up-pipe? Manufactures? I was lookin at the TXS Turbo-back exhaust system for later down the road, like 2-3 months. So hook me up with some suggestions, and I'll start my research. Oh, and by the way Rexrondald, I live in Highland Hts., it's near S.O.M. and Wilson Mills...if u know where that is. Fa sho, I'll keep in touch, let you know how my modz are comin along! :-), but anyway, THANK YOU for the info on the e-test, that's VERY helpful. Talk to ya lata...
post #13 of 16 Old 12-20-2002, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you're going for Ground Effects...

Before you make final decision about the kit to get...
Take a look at Erebuni.net ... They have some real radical looking kits. I will speak to one issue w/the kit I got. The front apron is pretty low to the ground. I work in Warren, OH and all the parking lots out there have fairly steep entrances,, some of them I have to crawl in and out of like a snail to avoid scraping bottom (breaks my heart and pierces my eardrums to hear that terrible scraping noise) Just have to be real careful w/it. And if you plan to do any offroading, and insist on ground effects, get something similar to the Subaru brand kit... its modest looking, but allows for pretty respectable clearence. I did some offroading before I got the Erebuni kit installed and all I can say is WOW. That car goes through all that is thick and thin. I was showing up and embarassing some sport utilities in 6 inches of pure mud. Stopping on mud-laden hill, throwing it in reverse, and backing up w/zero slippage... Onlookers and myself too were very impressed. Some people (with no knowledge of WRX and its nature at the time) were nothing short of astonished by what they called a "sportscar" could do offroad in muddy conditions. And that was w/stock tires. The car is nothing short of amazing. I live to drive it.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-21-2002, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RLsChMiDt is an unknown
I got mINE TODAY!!!! I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! Did i mention I love it? Anyway, thanks for the advice REX, hopefully I'll see you on the road sometime. LoL. But yeah, i'm just gonna go with subaru ground effects cus they are a sure fit, other after-market kits aren't. Plus I want SOME clearance. THanks guys. Oh...and I'm most likely gettin a STi Up-pipe for my first engine mod. Any places to find em cheap? Thanks
post #15 of 16 Old 12-22-2002, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

You are correct

The Erebuni is fiber glass front and rear. ABS plastic side skirts. The sides fit like a glove. The front and rear took some serious work to get them in place correctly. Ended up removing the front and rear bumper, fitting the pieces on (while scratching the heck out of the bumpers to do it, and having the spoilers/bumpers painted as one piece, then re-install. So quite a bit of work involved. I have seen some after market kits that were ABS plastic front/rear/sides (ABS plastic always an easy fit compared to fiberglass). But the kit was not very radical looking (still had good ground clearance though)... I think it was made by Orciari. I didn't like the front/rear at all. But the sides were much cooler looking than the Subaru upgrade sides and were exactly the same in ground clearance. Might have seen them at Fastwrx.com... but i'm not sure. Good to here that you picked yours up... hope to see you on the road sometime,,, I always make a point to gesture (in friendly manner) to fellow WRX owners. We are all one of kind as far as I'm concerned. I've seen the "you wouldn't understand, its a JEEP thing bumper sticker" and I always think, bummer for everyone w/out a WRX, but i guess they don't know what there missing. I guess its just a WRX thing. Enjoy the new ride... What color did you get? You know if you see me on the road, silver w/cherry red "subaru" center caps, red calipers, and STI emblems. Have fun, drive safe, but w/the petal to the metal. he he
Sponsored Links
Advertisement