Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust problems. Need advise!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  303_Scooby 
#1 ·
Okay so i just bought a 05 wrx wagon, i bought a TurboXs Turboback exhaust system and alot when wrong while trying to install it. First, When i was taking of the stock downpipe one of the bolts got stripped so i had to saw it off...all went well. When i was putting the new downpipe on the same bolt that got sawed off wouldn't thread into its place. There is no bolt there. Is that gonna cause my gasket to blow?

Second, my muffler sits alittle higher than it should but it wont budge and its burning my bumper. What should i do? Hangers? any advise will help
Thanks

Third! will Sti headers fit my 05 wrx? its a a one piece the uppipe and and headers are attached, but the uppipe is the same size as my turbo the Td04

#2 ·
If I remembercorrectly aren't there studs that come out of the turbo, go through the holes in the downpipe, and a nut goes on them to hold the dp on?

They make longer aftermarket hangers that might help your muffler situation. I think kartboy and torque solutions make some. Check out rally sport direct for these. They also have oem exhaust hardware at rally sport direct that might help you with your downpipe.

I dont think there is any difference between the sti manifolds/crosspipe and the wrx version so why would you want to switch? In stock form the uppipe is separate from the "header" and yes a catless sti uppipe will fit in place of your catted wrx one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Boo-key your spot on about the studs from the factory turbo. Im pretty sure they are replaceable though.

303 are you saying that you had to saw off the end of the stud from your turbo that had a nut attached to it holding on your OEM downpipe? If thats the case and your new downpipe is not bolted down evenly then yeah that will eventually cause gasket problems

As far as burning your bumper there are 2 schools of though one is add distance, the other is add protection. I like the latter personally, Ive never like the look of cars where the muffler hangs down past the rear diff, It just looks less professional to me but so does a melted bumper. I would start by adding a layer of good thermal tape, It doesn't have to be flashy gold but something with good thermal rejection properties will go a long way towards stopping radiant heat from ruining your bumper. You can get it pretty cheap if you go on amazon and type "thermal barrier tape".

#4 ·
Boo-key when i bought the manifold and the uppipe the person i bought it from said it wound't fit theirs because it was meant for the 2.5 not the 2.0 but i get you. i was just confused that why i thought i'd ask first.

Thx ill definitely look into the hangers because its getting bad lol. and the thermal tape

arctic, yes thats exactly what happened but i figured when i put the manifold and uppipe on id replace the gasket and try to get the stud in when i take it off. Thanks both of you and sorry for the late reply, lost internet for while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.