exhaust leak...any ideas? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
exhaust leak...any ideas?

ok so i just got the erz downpipe/catback combo and i am getting a very bad leak between the catback and downpipe. How could this be possible because they have to fit, its the same company? Everything is tight as possible so what could possibly be causing this leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Did you get new gaskets? Or did you use the factory ones, if you did then most likely it will leak.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Yet another reason I always try to steer people away from that company. You get what you pay for...

Chances are the flanges aren't square with each other. You can take it to a machine shop and get it fixed, put a bunch of RTV sealant in there, or (my suggestion) you can send it back and get your money back, and save for a good system.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
man you gots some crappy lucky with exhausts huh? You would think it would mate because it's SUPPOSED to, but if it's crap it's crap, like cosmo said, you get what you pay for. How cheap was it BTW?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-05-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
haha 400 for the turboback and yeah i have horrible luck with a lot of stuff, not just exhausts. Anways, im stuck with what i have i dont really feel like sending this back. I have to pay for shipping and a 25% restocking fee plus i like the look of the setup. So what i did today was put two gaskets in there and there is still a HORRIBLE leak. I go and email the guy and he tells me to try 3 gaskets and see if that works. I think these guys are idiots or something...3 gaskets??? Well anyways i think im stuck with what i have so could anyone give me any advice?

Someone suggested i go to autozone and get some kind of repair kit that has some kind of metallic tape. Does anyone have any experience with that? The same goes for gasket maker? whats a good brand?

I also have my donut gasket that is fairly new (about a month from my old setup), should i try using that? Both flaged are flat but i was thinkning there is a possibility that might work...

ughhh this noise is killing me

Last edited by Paul Mezo; 08-05-2005 at 08:02 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2005, 02:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

did you ever get it to seal up??
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
no i havent done anything yet, i'm still trying to figure out exactly what i should do. I have so many people telling me different things. I think i might try out the liquid gasket, but i went to autozone and they told me that they dont carry anything like that and that it probably wouldnt work. They also did the same for the paper gasket cutouts - they said it was a bad idea and that it would never hold. I dont know if they dont know what they are talking about or what, but it wasnt good. I am stuck with this exhaust and was probably going to go with the liguid gasket, im just not sure if i should do anything else (one gasket, two gaskets, paper gaskets...etc)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2005, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

i know the autozones around me are typcially staffed with 16 year old somethings still in high school . . so the advice there usually isn't any good. The only way to find out what works is try it!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
yeah i think i am going to try the gasket maker and see how that works. Im just doubting how strong it really is and how long it will last
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2005, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

did you get it to seal?

Some tips if you haven't tried the liquid gasket maker:

Run the bead along the flange, a nice BIG bead, but make sure to let it set at least a few minutes before smashing it together with the other pipe. Letting it set up a few minutes will prevent all the liquid from coming out the sides and will give you a more firm gasket.

let us know how you make out.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
Liquid Gasket Is My New Best Friend! It sealed up perfectly. I mean its only been a day but no more leak! I love this stuff and all it cost me was like $3.

I sold my erz catback and kept the downpipe. If you remember from my previous post i put my buschur 3'' back on and i love it. It still had that leak but the gasket maker sealed that up nice. I kept the buschur because i really dont like the angled look that the erz has.

Oh and about the ERZ company...dont deal with those people they are scum. First after this i really dont trust their cheap equipment, they are absolutely no help and dont even respond when you email them after the deal is done. My erz downpipe is holding up but you are really taking a chance buying there stuff, i would never do it again.

Anyways, thanks for all your help with the leak and if anyone else has a problem like mine. Gasket maker is your friend!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2005, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

glad it finally worked out for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement