exhaust leak - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-03-2005, 11:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
exhaust leak

being a bit unsatisfied with the way my exhaust sounded i looked underneath to check for exhaust leaks, and ### do i find? an exhaust leak. So i tightened everything up some more and did a better lining up of the pipes and voila i think the exhaust leak is gone ### i couldnt feel anything when i cupped my hand over the gaskets... b4 the leak was very blatant ### i cupped my hand over it and i could feel air leaking out. for one thing it got rid of most of that gurgling popping sound everytime the revs go down, but there is still a very minimal amount of it left, so does that mean there is still a leak somewhere or am i supposed to hear the gurgling/pop noise. Mind you, b4 you comment, that the gurgling is VERY little, mayb like one or 2 gurgles... b4 when i had the leak it would gurgling like 5 times.. any advice?

One more thing, there probably shouldnt be any water seaping thru the gaskets if they are all on tight right? the weird thing is that even tho the water was leaking out the bottom of the gasket, there was no leak there... so wats that about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
you may have bad gaskets...put seafoam though your vaccum line off the master cylinder and if any smoke comes out of where it is not suppose...

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#3 Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
thats too much crazy for me, i dont know which master cylinder u're talkin about
#4 Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
So, I got a question for you guys. I held my had over my turbo, and I can feel light puffs (synced with the exhaust) when my car idles. I think it's comming from between the DP and turbo. I've already purchased a replacement gasket, but I just want to make sure this isn't normal so out of the freak chance that it is, I don't have to waste my time and be frustrated with yet another "repair." I've also have not noticed a decrease of perfomance or any unusal noise.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
yes this is not normal, it will reduce spool up, decrease horsepower and sound bloody annoying when you come on boost and make fluffing noises when revs are low, turbo off, use a thin layer of ultra copper silicone on both sealing surfaces and put gasket on and torque to specifications, put anti-sieze on the studs and use new nuts. these nuts are designed to be used only once as they are specially heat treated brass composite and the first time they heat up they lock on to the stud, if old ones are re-used it is common for them to come loose as they no longer lock on
#6 Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Abismo is an unknown
all fear the fluffing WRX!
#7 Old 11-05-2005, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ronnzi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Ronnzi
Just curious - I had a leak and I fixed it - sound much nicer now, maybe I should make new videos since it sounds better.

Anyways, I have an AP and was wondering if I should clear my ECU and have it relearn now that the leak's gone. Would I get better performance since it learned while there was a leak?
#8 Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnzi
Just curious - I had a leak and I fixed it - sound much nicer now, maybe I should make new videos since it sounds better.

Anyways, I have an AP and was wondering if I should clear my ECU and have it relearn now that the leak's gone. Would I get better performance since it learned while there was a leak?

It'll learn without a reset...

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311