Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust

16K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
So I don't want to sound stupid but I have a rice burner exhaust that I bought with my car and looking to change it but wondering does it matter if I get a name brand exhaust or if I can go to a muffler shop (that I know and have done business with) and just get him to make me a 3 inch exhaust for pretty cheap, my only concern is the sound I want that good suby rumble. so I just came here for input. have at it.

#3 ·
Typically, the "exhaust" on a WRX is two sections = a downpipe (bolts to the back of the turbo and runs down under the car to about the middle) and a cat back (a.k.a. midpipe + axle back = connects to the downpipe and runs all the way out the back of the car, including the muffler/tip). Together, the downpipe (dp) and cat back (cb) make up the turbo back exhaust (tbe). The downpipe is an aftermarket piece you should buy - bellmouth style downpipies are arguably the best (research). A catted vs. catless downpipe is something you need to decide for yourself - keep in mind that an aftermarket catted downpipe would only have one catalytic converter where the stock downpipe has two (research). If you're only worried about the cat back portion, sure, any exhaust shop could make one for you. It's a matter of deciding what size pipe (3" diameter is the most common), welding on a flange (possibly with an adapter if you're connecting a larger cat back to the smaller stock downpipe) to bolt it to the downpipe, bending everything to shape, welding on a few hangers, deciding what type of muffler/tip you want, and that's pretty much it. A downpipe is for performance and a tune is highly recommended/required if you replace it, while a cat back is mostly for looks/sound and can be installed any time without a tune and, like Chris said, just about any cat back (premade aftermarket or custom fabbed) will give you the signature Subaru rumble you're looking for.

Any time you take apart any section of the exhaust, it is highly recommended that you use brand new gaskets.

A less expensive, but still pretty good quality downpipe or cat back to consider is Invidia.

Note: Regarding the picture, the stock downpipe does have two catalytic converters in it. On an 02-05 WRX, they would be considered the "second" and "third" because there is a catalytic converter in the stock 02-05 up pipe (which is located just before the turbo). On an 06+ WRX, the stock up pipe does not have a cayalytic converter, so those would technically be the "first" and "second" catalytic converters.

The exhaust is just a pipe, but there really is a lot to consider if you're going to change any part of it. Good luck!

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
This is the exhaust i have on my 03 WRX. WRX CATBACK 02-07 05 06 SUBARU STI SRS TYPE-RE EXHAUST | eBay I love it. It gives it a nice low rumble at idle and its not loud at all in the car, but i have rev'd it before and gfs parents were about 50yds away and he said my exhaust was really loud but i didn't think it was loud at all. It was a nice deep loud, and sounds nice. The main reason i got it was cause it doesn't stick out sideways like most i've seen, plus it has that big oval muffler to make it look more stock than those fart pipe looking ones and the fitment was perfect, no problems at all. For a no name exhaust, i give it a plus in my book.

Attachments

#10 ·
I get that part. Some people have bad experiences with products but that's not what I'm talkin back about. He's sayin my taillights are awful and I have to get rid of them and put stockers on. Id say since taillights are more personal taste than anything, its kinda hard not to take it personal.

#11 ·
I understand.

He's as harsh as they come on this forum, he's mad because he misses Texas... Can't blame him.

Try NASIOC.... you'd have gotten banned just posting this thread... haha... Not really, but they would have eaten you alive to the point where you would have been fighting back (as lose).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.