EVOIII 16G vs. 18G for 02 bugeye... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
EVOIII 16G vs. 18G for 02 bugeye...

Ok guys, im torn between the EVOIII16G and the 18G turbos now. Im planning on doing this right the first time and dont want to be disappointed with the results. Im shooting for 300awhp with more potential in the future. I have a new timing belt (going on in spring) and tensioner to be done first (103,000 miles but well maintained), then getting FP turbo, DW 650cc injectors, BIG TMIC, Short ram intake, walbro FP, EGT, AFR gauges. Already have megan racing catless DP, catless UP, SRS catless 3" exhaust, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, APV2 with stage 2 map tweaked by myself, and a prodrive 3 port EBCS.

Would an 18G even be feasible for a daily driven 2.0L? Lots of lag or no?

What would need to be upgraded from the current list to support the 18G? DW 750cc injectors maybe, but anything else?

I really want this car to surprise people on the mid to top end but maintain reliability.

Thanks

-02 WRX Blouch 18G'd Juggernaut of Beastliness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you've got 650cc injectors and Top mount already, you're much better off with the E3-16G path. The 18G would benefit more from larger choices. Also, if you're not satisfied with the E3-16G, I don't think the 18G is really going to make life a whole lot better. I'd definitely go E3-16G. Maybe you don't hit 300whp but who cares, it's just a number. Drive to a dynapack if you really want to break some artificial milestone.

When it comes down to it, the EJ205 is limited. So is your 5-speed. 300whp is almost twice the stock power and you're not adding weight so it's another world of quick. Just saying...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I agree with Mosc %100 percent on this. Its not just about the numbers but what you "feel" is right for you. I know it may be touh to decide now, but look and read around and see what others are getting with a similar setup and see if that is what you are wanting/looking for.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
i would swap in a sti short block with it and get the e3-16g. And like said before the tranny is going to be a huge problem. If you want to do something about the tranny i would look into the ppg gears, i got quoted around 4k for the gears, install, and all the little things.
#5 Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Both are good turbos but a TD05H-18g with a 7cm hotside will spool quite quick and has the higher power potential.But dyno #'s are just that,#'s.If your whole goal is revolving around that you might be disappointed.On the same day one dyno might tell ya 310whp while another 280whp without any changes to the car.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
or even RA gears if your not going way past the 300 whp area
#7 Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
My goals are a good reliable DD, with lots of pull in the mid and top ends. I was thinking the extra CFM would help me out on the top end. Im looking to beat camaros and mustangs no problem too . Im looking into the new gears for the tranny in the near future, i don't drive like a madman, i have mostly freeway miles to and from work (about 35 miles one way). I want to be able to use the turbo on a 2.5L block if i need one in the future and i feel like the 16G would be too small to extract the hp and tq numbers to the extreme on that engine.

I've built a cam/heads 355ci LT4 camaro with the BW 6 speed and i went a little too small on the cam because i wanted to be conservative, but the car is a blast to drive, yet still i should have went with more duration on the cam to compliment the rest of the setup.

I've also built a prostreet fox mustang with a built 466ci big block, and its just a pure monster on the street, again should've went with a little bigger cam and torque converter (has 3,000 stall).

I just don't want to make the same mistake 3 times in a row and go too small on a major part that i will regret not going larger for more potential in the future. I will keep reading around NASIOC and this site to try and decide.

I don't have the injectors yet but would i go with the 650 or 750 DW for the 18G? would anything else need upgrading from my parts list to support the 18G? Also, what psi wastegate actuator would you guys recommend for it?

Thanks guys...

#8 Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Then 18g would be the answer. It gives you more room to play with. I would make the injectors bigger too.
#9 Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
Then 18g would be the answer. It gives you more room to play with. I would make the injectors bigger too.
I'm running a EVOIII 16g on an '02 2.0L, and I think Wasp should go with the 18G given his stated preferences and intentions.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#10 Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
Blouch or FP? im stuck on that too. Which turbine housing for the 2.0L? TD05 or TD06 turbine housing for my application and 7cm or 8cm?

Is the FP18G really crammed into a 16G compressor housing or is that the wrong picture on their website?

Last edited by Wasp642; 01-04-2009 at 04:42 PM.
#11 Old 01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp642 View Post
Blouch or FP? im stuck on that too. Which turbine housing for the 2.0L? TD05 or TD06 turbine housing for my application and 7cm or 8cm?
What exactly do you want?A turbo for a 2.0L or a turbo for a 2.5L?See where I'm going with this?If your going to upgrade to a 2.5L block you might as well wait to upgrade the turbo at the same time or just buy a used VF39 in the mean time and spend the $$$ on the proper turbo later.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#12 Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'd go with a blouch 18g, TD05, 8cm, and 750cc injectors.

The FP 18g does come with a smaller compressor housing, although it's technically not a 16g compressor housing.
#13 Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
What my goal is for the car right now is to get full boost by around 3700 rpms so i can rocket around on the freeway. I still want some usable power around town, but want the power to hit kinda like a sledge hammer on boost to surprise the crap outta people. Next tax return comes the RA gears or 6 speed swap, and the tax return after that comes probably a 2.2L stroker rebuild. So which 18G would be recommended by you guys with experience?

#14 Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
Ok, im sold. Blouch TD05H-18G 7cm^2, good price @ extremepsi and free shipping. Getting the W2s from work middle of the month then its buyin time. Thanks for the help guys, and man did i do a crap load of searching on this.......

Now, big TMIC or 27" FMIC? lol

#15 Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That has been discussed also. If you want the initial punch, the TMIC generally has less lag as there is less piping. But the FMIC has better cooling properities and potential for higher HP numbers.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"