Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ever powershift your WRX?

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hipo_wrx 
#1 ·
I have always been afraid of poer shifting. I have heard if it is done corretly it is safe but I am afraid I would not do it correctly. My last incounter with a hard shift was on an A4 test drive. I guess it wasnt really a shift but I droped the clutch @ redline and had to drive back in 2nd :eek:

How do you safly powershift and can in be done in a WRX?

#2 ·
I powershifted in my WRX a few times at the track, but unlike a big V8 car (or any Naturaly aspirated car) it does not really do anything for a WRX.

Your clutch pedal opens the wastegate so you are making 2.0L 4 banger n/a power when you have the clutch in and the gas slammed down.

It seems like my turbo spools up better/faster when I let up on the gas while I shift rather than keeping it down (maybe it is easier for the wastegate to close?), and speed in a WRX is all about the Turbo spool.

but in answer to your question, I found if you shift at about 6,000 rpm, and shift quickly, you won't even hit the rev limiter before you let up on the clutch. But it is not gonna help your time unless you hack your car up enough so that you can build boost with the clutch in...

#3 ·
power shifting isnt good at all for the trans..but you should try flat shifting though.. keep in the gas the whole time and only press in the clutch enuf to change gears.. but just keep the gas floored to the floor if you time it right you will maby hit the rev limiter once.. i raced my friend once normal shifting.. then i raced him flat shifting it made a decent difference.. it is alot better if your running a bigger turbo.. because soon as you get off of the gas to change gears it takes a second for the turbo to spool back up.. when iam flat shifting my boost drops a little if at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.