EVC5 to 3 Port grimmspeed - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
EVC5 to 3 Port grimmspeed

I bought the car with a HKS EVC5, and think its set too high from the P.O.
So I want to yank that and install a 3 port. Can I hurt anything by doing this?

the HKS seems to be broke so that I cant adjust it and I dont need 20-21psi.
I felt as if I was gonna kill my car when I hit 141 kpa...not good

please help me, I've never uninstalled one before and dont want to mess up my car.

should be as simple as unplugging and reinstalling right?

Thanks in advance.....CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm not sure it will be a "plug and play" switch.
Those are high $ pieces too. Can't you just dial the boost down on it?
Aren't you going soon to get tuned ? If you are, wait till you do.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The HKS is a manual boost controller. Our cars are heavily ECU driven, I would not recommend using that part. Some tuners still use MBC's or (EBC's if you prefer the term). The 3-port BCS requires tuning. The whole fuel map needs to be redone.

3-port BCS + ECU is the right way to go, you just can't half ass it. It needs tuning. Leave it stock, or do it properly. MBC is the worst thing you can do.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, it was there when I bought the car and I cant seem to dial it down,,.. And yes I'm getting tuned soon, but this high boost kinda scares me. Its not very controlled, it wants to jump me from around 50kpa to 120ish at the snap of a finger, somethings not right! It also has a kind of empty power if that makes sense, but only at that higher boost when it gets around that 120 mark. just like I came off the gas or something. When I stay below 50kpa, Im smooth sailing.

Even if I could just yank it out and run everything how it was stock? If of course I still have my pill , which I probably do not
But if I can do that, than I will wait to install a 3 port right up until a day or two before tune.

The kid I got it from said he never touched the electronics, they were there when he bought it as well.
And I know its my fault for buying a modified car, but 5500 bucks for my Blaze yellow 02 is worth this headache for me.

Back to the empty loss of power thing, my brain is telling me to dissect my fuel system this weekend and see if the original modifier went cheap and didn't upgrade fuel injectors and/or pump. . .That sounds like a decent place on where to start on that problem...correct?

Thanks again you guys, I'm grateful to be on a site with such knowledge.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Can't you just dial the boost down on it?
Aren't you going soon to get tuned ? If you are, wait till you do.
Do you mean, leave it set high so my tuner can dial it in correctly? (make it run like 20-21psi should)

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, I mean drop the boost below 19lbs on the controller for now. The emptiness you feel is "probably" the turbo out of it's efficiency range and it falls on it's face, meaning it's not doing anything whatsoever past 20lbs.

I do have my old pill laying around with some hose still connected when I put my 3port on my STi. PM me your address and I will send it over... If not, like Mosc said... Return it to stock... Which I would be cautious about IF it has a tune on there already.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM

Garage
You shouldn't use ANY boost with an untuned 3-port on your car. Any boost reading back to the ECU will be completely different. Please, you MUST tune your car for these mods. The ECU has it's hands too deeply in the fuel control based on boost readings to be blindfolding it (mbc) or worse completely lieing to it (3-port bcs). Both mods can be tuned for, and the 3-port bcs is a good idea, IT JUST REQUIRES TUNING!

#8 Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The only option you have to take off the mbc and not get a pro-tune; would be to install a 2 port bcs and use a OTS map for now. Because that is what OTS maps are set-up for the stock set-up. The difference in 3 port vs 2 port beyond hoses/plumbing is how the ECU reads it.

2 port is a bleed type set-up. Which means the bcs basically monitors the air from the wastegate actuator by it bleeding off at the T to the bcs.

and 3 port is a interupt set-up. Which means the bcs will interupt the air to the wastegate actuator. Basically it totality changes the air flow to the wastegate and you will basically have to zero out the wastegate duty cylces to start testing the minimum boost pressure necessary with the new set-up.

Read more here: CobbTuning.com - How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm gonna pull it a part this weekend and see where she stands, if I still have a pill. best case. Ill get an OTS to hold me over for the tiny bit ill drive it till pro tune. As of right now though, I have been playing it safe and driving my Caliber N/T But better safe than sorry. If I cant have full confidence in my WRX,, she will have to sit.

Thanx for all the great help guys...as always!! And Mosc, I fully agree that if its not right and has no tune...dont drive it!!Cry!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 05-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Garage
Sounds like a plan. Once you get it tuned, the 3-port BCS gives quicker boost response. Makes the car feel less laggy. It also smooths out the boost curve which makes the car smoother overall as well. Also, it handles higher PSI applications much better than the 2-port. "The pill" doesn't work well at high boost levels.

#11 Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, its one of the things I had to force on my tuner. But, now he is more of a fan of 3 port bcs on subies. He says a 3 port bcs and EWG really help with boost responce and boost control on Subies. EVOs its not as dramatic.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae