Subaru WRX Forum banner

engine rebuild question

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  303_Scooby 
#1 ·
I'm buying a full rebuild kit and im not to sure on the main journal and rod oil clearance. It gives me the option of standard and like .001 I think would have to double check. Pistions an rods are OEM fitment not boring over. Just need feed back on what route I should go before I buy the kit.

#2 ·
A stock rebuild requires standard clearances.

The important thing to check is the cylinder wall wear but that can only be done with the engine apart. If there's too much cylinder wall wear then the proper procedure is to overbore and use oversized pistons.

#4 ·
Yes.

Ideal approach is to bore-match pistons, by sending oversized pistons to the machine shop/builder so that cylinders can be bored to fit.

Although not as good as bore matching, if the cylinder wear is within spec, than cylinders can be honed and standard pistons used with new rings.

If it's not a stock rebuild what power levels are you building for?

#5 ·
When I was looking at the pistons it said that it didn't need to bore over stock placement. Should I get bigger sized pistons?
And looking to make around 400 if not more. This kit comes with pistions, connecting rods gasket kit timing belts water pump then Im getting id1000 injectors, Garret 2871 turbo walbro 300 fuel pump and also built heads with 272 cams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.