ej20 272 bc cams - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
what intercooler you using? Might be some gains there... headers p&p'd? You could always go with a hybrid block too...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Theres always the water/meth injection, not a permenant power adder though. Are you running a 91 or 93 octane map? Can be some small gains tere sometimes.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#18 Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
i have a fmic and aftermarket headers.......and also on 93oct.....i guess umm idk i just got my td05 16g so staying with that turbo for a while haha...........and i dont think i should turn the boost up no more....because then im asking for some kind of problems......thats why i as looking at the cams...........
#19 Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I would go for the cams with a good pnp for your heads and new springs/retainers.

It will move your power to the right, but with the new springs/retainers/cams you should be able to rev a little higher to use more of the top end power.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#20 Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
yea all this is gonna cost me some $ lol.....well right now im at 19-21lbs of boost and no i did not get it dynotuned..so i don't know exactly how much whp i got, im guessing around 305.....give or take....but would the stock block be able to handle reving higher? i just dumped a crap load of money about a month ago and i could throw away $350 for my buddys cams its just all that good stuff that comes along that cost money, but if i do buy the cams i would work on it at toward the end of summer......anything else i can do to squeese more power?
#21 Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 AM

Garage
save for a bigger turbo or a new shortblock and forget the stupid cams

#22 Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
yea i was thinking of a 2.5...but im not sure how much more gas its gonna suck downmosc u had experiance with a 2.0 right? whats the mpg diferance between the 2.0 and the 2.5....and i kinda wanna stay with the 2.0......

know that i think of it i think i should save for ppg gears...................lol..305whp is enough for now.....sell one of my yz125's and save till the end of summer/beginning of winter and BAM! ill have a ppg gear box...........i think thats a good idea then i can sell my ra gear box and ill be set..............or just get a bigger turbo lol

Last edited by mosc; 05-30-2008 at 10:27 AM.
#23 Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Garage
Cruising at 65 with the CC on a flat road, I could get about 30mpg out of the WRX, The STi gets 28 in the same condition. Around town I usually got 19 out of the WRX, the STi gets about the same. I accelerate more than I should...

SO I guess it matters how much freeway driving you do. If you stay in 5th for long stretches, the 2.5L WILL cost you some gas mileage but if you don't, it prob doesn't change much of anything.

#24 Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bootsie is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_JOE View Post
yea all this is gonna cost me some $ lol.....well right now im at 19-21lbs of boost and no i did not get it dynotuned..so i don't know exactly how much whp i got, im guessing around 305.....give or take....but would the stock block be able to handle reving higher? i just dumped a crap load of money about a month ago and i could throw away $350 for my buddys cams its just all that good stuff that comes along that cost money, but if i do buy the cams i would work on it at toward the end of summer......anything else i can do to squeese more power?
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. I dont believe anyone ever answered his question about the block being able to handle reving higher. I am looking at cams right now, and I have the same question he did. The cams i'm looking at would allow the car to rev to 7500 (I would also buy valve springs). Would the stock block be able to handle this?
I am looking to get a little extra power without upgrading my turbo. I just put a 16g in last summer and i dont want to upgrade the turbo again so soon.
Thanks for any advice
#25 Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I think the stock block would handle 7500 rpms.I would upgrade the head studs and head gaskets.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#26 Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I think the stock block would handle 7500 rpms.I would upgrade the head studs and head gaskets.
I agree if we're talking about the EJ205 (which we are) but I'll point out that the EJ255 and even the EJ257 don't handle RPMS past 7k very well. The 2.0L actually has some more room to play with. I'd do what dumdum said here before raising redline though. I just wanted to point out he's talking about EJ205s and not the 2.5L versions.

#27 Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bootsie is an unknown
Ok thanks for the help! The cams I was looking at are stage 2, they are 264s. Do you think I sould upgrade my valve springs and retainers? Also someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you should port and polish your heads when doing cams. Is this required or just a suggestion?
#28 Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Wouldn't he see some significant gains from doing headers? both in hp and torque I would imagine that would help his low end and his top end a good bit especially for the torque aspect if hes running a 2.0 liter? I think mosc might have mentioned the headers previously but I figured I'd bring that up because headers was something I was considering doing myself if after a while (hopefully a real long while after the 16g is installed) i get bored with my current set up or soon to be current set up.

Also I would think if you did like a intake headers n gears the car would feel much better and prob be a good bit faster...I know people usually say avoid doing the intake but I have heard that a intake goes great with the header back exhaust makes for a nice combination.

Dream Evil
#29 Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Garage
I don't know what you're talking about. The stock headers are pretty good.

#30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Equal length headers will provide a nice power gain even over stock P&Ped headers.The stock un equal design is inefficient.NASIOC has a lot of factual data on this as well.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!