EGT sensor - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
EGT sensor

My car is in the shop right now having a Megan Racing Flex up-pipe installed... I am getting paranoid about the EGT sensor, i told the shop not to put it back in because it might come loose and kill my turbo. BUT will i still be able to pass emisions with out the EGT sensor? I failed emissions today because my car doesn't have an o2 sensor installed at the moment, so i don't want to add more problems to deal with in order to pass the emission test..

Question being, is it best to leave the EGT sensor out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Why doesn't your car have an 02 sensor installed?Wise up and spend your money on some engine management before any other mods............

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
You always have a negative comment to make huh?

I have a cobb AP v2 w/ PDX e-tune

My question being, if i remove the EGT Sensor will i have trouble passing emissions? I have the AP tuner so i can clear the code, but will that show up on the emissions test?
post #4 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
you won't have any problems if you do the resistor cel fix. you might if you use the AP to clear it... I'm not sure, though. I've cleared dtc's with enginuity (err, romraider) for emissions, and there were no problems.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
TurboRyan: The problem being...wasn't it you? That posted earlier should you leave in the EGT or leave it out? In that post....it was said to leave it out. The 02 sensor being missing is why your failing your emission test. The AP should be clearing the codes that other wise would be causing you to fail. Why isn't the 02 sensor installed? Is a better question. If it was installed, you'd more than likely pass. I'm sure your ecu is throwing a code because the 02 isn't simply there at all.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
After clearing the code i would just have to drive 150 or so miles untill its "ready"? Would i be better off adding the resistor fix to the egt?
post #7 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I did the resistor fix on my 02 and it did the trick, no CEL..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #8 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
This is my first post concerning the egt sensor...

My car isn't showing any CEL's, so i was hoping i would pass before i put the up pipe in....

The guy i bought the car from told me the o2 sensor wouldn't mount on the exhaust like it did on the stock system. (i have a 4" catless dp, 3" catless tbe).

So in order for me to reinstall the o2 sensor it seems i would need to have the mount welded into the exhaust... My dad's buddy told him about an easy fix for this prob. but my dad didn't remember what he said to do, lol.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
WRXpert

So there is no bungs on the exhaust? Most of the time guys talk about a cel fix they are referring to a spacer. It moves the o2 out of the main stream of the exhaust which allows it to read properly even when the cat is missing.

post #10 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
i know for a fact there are no bungs on the down pipe, and when i was doing the turbo swap i didn't see any bungs further down the line... Where is the
o2 sensor located from the factory?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
WRXpert

By the transmission.

Here you can see the bung for mine, it's the little tube that is sticking out of the side of my downtube..

post #12 of 19 Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
TurboRyan: Sorry, I thought that was you that posted that. The rear 02 sensor is what i'm assuming your talking about. It should be pre-cat. I'd assume. Then the cat would take care of the un-burnt fuel after the exhaust gases were read. That location would tell the ECU how rich/lean the exhaust gases are. So, that it could help adjust the mixture.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
Being that i have no cats at all, what is the best fix for my missing o2? Have a bung welded on the dp and have it reinstalled? or just do a resistor fix?
post #14 of 19 Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Have a bung welded in and reinstall the sensor.Honestly ditch the AP and go Opensource for this very reason.Opensource has a "forced readiness" you can apply to your ROM that will allow it to pass OBDII emissions scans.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #15 of 19 Old 01-06-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
Can i use the cable from my AP for opensource tuning? I like having the AP for the ease of switching maps and logging....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement