Subaru WRX Forum banner

ECU reset after silencer removal?

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  wingless 
#1 ·
Hey guys I know that the silencer removal doesn't add any power, I did it a few weeks back.

However, I'm talking to someone now who says he's heard that if you reset the ECU after taking the silencer out, that some wrx guys have told him that there's a noticable increase in performance. Does this make any sense? Thanks!

#8 · (Edited)
I have kind of a stupid question. I'm not real literate as far as working on cars by myself (I'm a network tech, not a car tech LOL). That's why I'm learning as much as possible about the Rex. I found this online:
http://www.geocities.com/forcedinductionrex/intakesilencer.html
It seems like a pretty good walk through but I'm still hesitant on trying it myself. In all honesty, for someone like me is this still an easy job? I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks ahead of time!

-Solice

#10 ·
well I just did the silencer removal and haven't noticed any sound difference. just a little more whistling from the turbo. I also put in a perrin foam filter as well. I also used the delete elbow from gp moto too. For $40 it's worth it. With only 600 miles on my 05' it's hard to say anything has changed even if it is a slight difference.I don't think I have broken it in yet either, but I did reset the ecu for the hell of it and I do noticed spooling is a little sluggish right now and my 1st gear feels like it takes longer to spool, which I kind of like, cause before that 1st just shot up too fast. Does any of this sound right to anyone. It's only what I have noticed considering i only have 600 miles on it..

#14 ·
Definatly even if you do no mods reset the ECU after you break the car in... you wouldn't want that ECU thinking that you are a driver that lkes to keep it under 4k RPM ;)

One thing I did that made a HUGE difference is reset my ECU at the 1/8th mile track, then did about 10 passes in one night. The car just feels a lot faster now... not to mention my 9.32 pass was that night.

#17 ·
I got a delete elbow, Perrin filter & silicone intercooler hoses for Christmas & installed everything at once in early January. Immediatly noticed quicker spool-up and improved low & mid range, but this was probably more from the IC hoses than the intake mods. Running a 3" Cobb turbo-back, nice combination of growl from the back & whistle from the front! Had not reset ECU since installing stage 2 map off my AccessPort last summer until I noticed I was 2 map revisions behind and just down loaded new maps last weekend. Another big kick in low to mid range, just keeps getting better. Burned a whole tank in 210 miles making sure ECU relearned my WFO preferences. Looking at my new VF34 & up-pipe sitting in the corner, waiting for backordered header & injectors to come in, then it's time for a new map again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.