Subaru WRX Forum banner

ECU before exhaust?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hondaeater 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 WRX that I got in May. I love the car so much, and practically never get out of it. But each time I do, I walk away wishing it was faster. I'm new to wrx's and car modding in general. I've read alot of the newbie and FAQ posts, as well as the guide to modding. However, with that said, I want power, and I want it soon. According to the guide, turboback exhaust is the first step. The thing is, all of my research has informed me that from an ECU like the cobb, ecutek, or vishnu I could get 30 or more horsepower from the moment of installation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a catback would give 5-10 hp max, and a downpipe would give me 12-15, more. So my question is, can I get an ECU first, or should I get a catback, downpipe, uppipe, etc, first.
In addition, there are so many brands, I don't know where to start. I know the popular products from talking to other wrx drivers and looking at forums on this site and others. Do any of you have any advice on which products to get? I want the best, the absolute best, and I'm willing to spend the money. I would rather pay top dollar and have each new part be the best quality, than getting a lot of cheaper products at once. This is my first post so I'm just trying to get my name out there on the forums. I would appreciate feedback as I know there is so much I can learn. Thanks.

#5 ·
Helix is a good brand and is priced fairly well. As for catbacks, they are almost all the same, from the quitest(borla hush) to the loudest(nur spec R?) there is maybe 1-2 HP difference so go to the video's section and find an exhaust that YOU think sounds good. Although I would trust the opinion of people above me I would get EM first. Stage 1 is always just EM, stage 2 is the EM + TBE. If you are going to do staged upgrades why not go in order? EM will make your car run safely along with adding HP.

#6 ·
If you get your engine tuned first then you will have to pay more money to have it retuned after you get the exhaust and any other mod. If money is not a problem then just order the UP/DP ( I reccomened Helix or Invidea) and the exhaust ( that depends on what look you like and how loud you want it) install or have it installed and have your comp. tune all at once.

#7 ·
knowing what i know i would personally get it all done at once. EM on a stock car that you plan to mod in the future is pissing in the wind. modding your exhaust with stock EM on a my04+ is just plain dangerous if you're not monitoring AFR's in the ol/cl transition period.

In english, get it all done at once.

My personal recommendations:

uppipe: APS. IMO the best UP out there. it's both cast iron for best heat retention, and stainless stell with a flex section for no worries about leaks later. (i personally have a scooby sport, i would buy the aps unit in a heartbeat if i could do it again/if something was wrong with my current UP).

TBE: i like bellmouth as opposed to divoriced waste gate. Helix makes good products that are value oriented. Your DP is one of those parts you don't have to spend extra money on to get X amount of performance. Bellmouth for performance, choose muffler based on sound preference (I personally have the helix catless DP mated to the STi cat back due to it's low noise level, and it was uber cheapness!).

EM: I like both Cobb's protuning software, and ECUtek's reflashing software. Go with a custom tune as opposed to generic flashing. Like others have said, get ALL your parts on first, make sure your car is running properly, and go get tuned. THis is one of those things you need to spend money on. Don't skimp on EM, get the right kind, and get it custom tuned (I have cobb's street tuner SW and was also professionally dyno tuned.)

TMIC: APS. be sure to do the proper TMIC mods, like upgraded sealer, splitter, hood scoop, and if you're feeling good IC sprayer. (I have the APS TMIC, STi scoop, and modded sealer/splitter).

HTH's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.