ebay part review - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
ebay part review

ok, so u guys hav seen my earlier posts and i thank everyone that helped me with all the installs and questions.

so i decided to take the chance of ebay parts since on a budget.

Big 16 turbo $300
no shaft play, looked legit, no cracks. Flawless
Bolted on perfect but 3 studs arent on the downpipe fitting like the stockers. Need 3 new bolts
Custom work - the acutator fitting on top was facing downward so i just cut it in half, twisted it and it moved out of the way of the turbo to inlet fitting. bottom feed line didnt come with, so i had to use it from the stock td04.

TMIC with y pipe kit $120
BIG A** intercooler. When they say the biggest one u'll find, it is.
No bent fins, it fit in area, comes polished.
Custom work - The blue elbow it came with wasnt long enough so had to extend it with a copper pipe and claps, strut bar needs to be removed, the 2 hard lines that get screwed on the intercooler on the bottom cant be attached, tight fit but it will not move, one of the intercooler side brackets wont be able to line with a hole so you cant screw the passenger side one in.

Turbo inlet pipe $65
Came in blue, real nice. all fittings worked well
Custom work - surprisingly, didnt have much of a problem with it. slid in place in like 5 min. dont need to cut, perfect dimension, only thing was that i had to take out the sensor on the last fitting ### it was too small. only a problem on 04+. ill take pics how to do it if interested

255lph fuelpump $70
Perfect with this one, no problems during installation. just when u access ## pump, its gonna be really rusty back there so use wd40 before u unscrew.

front and read drilled/slotted rotors $120
Perfect fitment and look real nice

I am not saying go crazy and go buy ebay parts, this is just a little reminder of what some of the work will be like and quality of the part. be precautious, you get what u pay for. total work was about 72 hrs with other non ebay parts. hopefully these parts last. everything is made in japan or some other aisian country so same quality as brand name.

lets here the criticism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Glad to hear that it all worked out for you in some form or fashion. I hope that the parts to last for you also. Much cheaper build than what I just got done with ont top of what I already have in the car. When or how are you getting a tune?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

555motorsports, names Matt in illinois. 50 miles south from downtown chicago. gotta get it towed. quick question, im on stage 4 now and im runnin 800cc injectors on stage 2 map. can i start my car just to make sure it works or is it a DO NOT TURN THE CAR ON WITH DIFFERENT SIZED INJECTOR MAP?
#4 Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I know Mat, I have talked to both him and the lead guy at DS1. They will be seeing my car around the march/april time frame for at least a transmission build. I would not turn the car over at all. You could foul your plugs, flood the engine, its too much of a hassle. Contact Mat and see if he can get you a dummy map just for that. Im sure he can, seems like a great smart guy.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's quite a budget build. Can't wait to hear the numbers.

I had good luck with my Ebay used STI up-pipe ($60) and my NASIOC used Cobb DP ($300).

Which rotors and pads did you get. I'll probably have to upgrade my brakes in the next 6 months and I'd like to get slotted rotors.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#6 Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
On my old '02 I used the eBay cross drilled/slotted brakes, which worked fine, but would squeal REALLY loudly at low speeds. It was always embarrassing when I'd pull into a parking space and my brakes made it sound like an old dump truck was pulling into the spot instead of a WRX! They performed great, never warped or cracked, but I had that one complaint. Funny thing was, it wasn't constant that it would do that. . . Pretty much only when someone was around. . . Murphy's Law, eh?
#7 Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

theyre by 888rotors or somethin like that. and i just grabbed a set of ceramic pads from pepboys, only $70
#8 Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Definitely update with the results of your tune. I'm interested to see how that turbo does and if it lasts you. Thanks for taking on for the team and being a guinea pig

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#9 Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Just remember,your also paying for the quality of the metal with the rotors and the turbo. Compressor wheels spin at 100K rpms and the turbine wheels spins just as fast and sees EGT's as hot as 1700F. And turbocharger wheels need to be precisely balanced.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Which rotors and pads did you get. I'll probably have to upgrade my brakes in the next 6 months and I'd like to get slotted rotors.
Save you money and get the DBA 4000 sloted. I have beat on these rotors for the last three years and they are still in good shape. I don't think the ebay ones can claim this. Also this is one area you want make sure you know what you have.
#11 Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

lol, i hope that turbo wil last. im gettin tuned today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ima come back tonight with the results
#12 Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Curious how this turned out. Might look into some ebay tmic's since I've heard good things. I'm not brave enough to try the turbo though.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#13 Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
The ebay TMIC are hit or miss. Most will have problems fitting correctly, have bad flow numbers, and cheap workmanship.
I would check the forum for a good used one. I picked up a Hyperflow TMIC for $100 a few years back. I have seen the TurboXS TMIC for around the same price.