Subaru WRX Forum banner

Early Mod Questions

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  stewy612 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I just bought my 04' WRX in october and im already looking to start some small projects... I wanted to start out with intake and a BOV obviously for sound... im actually only 17 so all that attracts me but i dont want flash over function.. As far as intake goes im finding out its a waste of money so im leaning toward the removal of the intake silencer .. If i do this will it still have the same sound of an CAI ? Also i was looking at BOVs and i found that i should go with the dual discharge(turbosmart) mainly because of the stock MAF system, but again will this still have the sound of say a Greddy or HKS BOV? advice is appreciated.. thanks guys!Thumbs Up

#2 ·
If you dont want flash over function, a new BOV or removing the silencer is not what you want. The most immediate "function" will be either a new DP or a Cobb, or something like it. Granted, it is not cheap, (for a 17 year old), but it IS function...

If you want cheap, go buy some stickers...

#3 ·
i got a turboXS bov and i love it...the silencer removal isn't really worth it because soon the car will be to loud to remember anyways lol and yes a CAI is a waste of money right now so don't mess with it.

get a the cobb access port...just go ahead and dish out the money for it i promise its worth it because you can feel the speed

then get a DP used...used is the way to go, i got my Buschur Turbo back Exhaust for only 350

once you've got the DP switch to Stage 2 and you've got a pretty fast car for not that much money

-Stewy

#4 ·
So what you guys are saying is get some money together and get a COBB access port along with a DP and then switch to Stage 2? If i switch to stage 2 will this have any adverse effects on my car? Also do i need anything else other than the access port and DP to switch it to stage 2? thanks..:confused:

#5 ·
You don't need to get COBB AP and a DP at the same time, you can do them in which ever order you want. Do which ever you want first, but the DP is going to be cheaper.

As far as adverse affects, you will get a significant increase in power, if that qualifies. :D

#7 ·
bmx1080 said:
But if i were to buy a Cobb AP would i be able to tune it myself to a stage 2 or would i have to get it professionally tuned?
The pro tune will just fine tune what the Cobb unit does out of the box. Including removing the unit from the box and reading the directions, the install takes about 30 minutes. Set it to Stage 1 if you don't have your d/p yet. Set it to Stage 2 if you do. It's almost too easy. :shhh:

#9 ·
bmx1080, to answer what you asked.... You can perform the snorkelectomy, it will give you absolutly no performance gains, or lose any, but, it will give you a louder intake sound and turbo spool.

As for the BOV, I have a TurboSmart VeePort BOV, I think its awesome, no rough idle or anything bad, and a nice Pssshhhhh. I have heard mixed feelings about the loudest BOV out there (TurboXS RFL), but, everyone says the HKS SSQV is their favorite BOV.

You only 17 so Im assuming you dont make a crapload of money, so Id worry about the performance mods later. Drive your car stock and get to know it at least. If you just buy a car and put mods on it right away you dont even know how much you are gaiing performance wise and you wont appreciate the mods you did as much. Once you have the money and are ready for performance, getting to stage 2 will be good. Thats getting an AccessPort and a Turboback exhaust.

I dont think you should be doing any performance mods right now anyway. The car is plenty fast for a 17 year old thats probably still in HighSchool. We dont want to see another "I crashed" thread :D

#12 ·
bmx1080 said:
So if i were to get a Cobb Acessport with a helix up and down pipe along with a catback greddy evo 2 exhaust that would probably be the way to go?? thanks...
Sounds a lot like what I will do in the near future. Hehe. :D
Hopefully I can afford the Cobb AP but probably won't since I am trying to pay off the car ASAP. But the others I think will be done whenever I have time to get them installed.

#13 ·
im 17 and i've got a VF22 car

anyways, the only reason not to switch to stage two on the stock downpipe is the cat...the cat can rip apart inside the piping and get sucked into the turbo therefore causing a lot of problems lol

as soon as you get a highflow performance cat, you can go ahead and switch over even if you don't have the cat back...you wont be quite as fast without the rest of the catback but you'll still be pushing 15.7 psi which is sweet

-Stewy

#15 ·
#16 ·
stewy612 said:
im 17 and i've got a VF22 car

anyways, the only reason not to switch to stage two on the stock downpipe is the cat...the cat can rip apart inside the piping and get sucked into the turbo therefore causing a lot of problems lol

as soon as you get a highflow performance cat, you can go ahead and switch over even if you don't have the cat back...you wont be quite as fast without the rest of the catback but you'll still be pushing 15.7 psi which is sweet

-Stewy
How exactally can pieces of the cat get "sucked into the turbo" from the downpipe? Where exactally did you get the idea that there would even be suction in your downpipe at all?

Maybe it's just me, but since there is a prodigious amount of exhaust pushing through the dp all the time (even at idle or between shifts) I would be very interested to know how those cat pieces could make it into the turbo.... Do they swim upstream like trout? Or do your turbines spin in reverse sometimes?

Jus' curious....

#18 ·
vertigo88 said:
How exactally can pieces of the cat get "sucked into the turbo" from the downpipe? Where exactally did you get the idea that there would even be suction in your downpipe at all?

Maybe it's just me, but since there is a prodigious amount of exhaust pushing through the dp all the time (even at idle or between shifts) I would be very interested to know how those cat pieces could make it into the turbo.... Do they swim upstream like trout? Or do your turbines spin in reverse sometimes?

Jus' curious....
i think he ment up-pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.