E85? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Probably depends on the setup, but I'm thinking more times then not. It should be about the same or a slight gain over gas just because of the higher octane. Though, it will definatly be less miles to the gallon.

Edit: If Burd could clarify how he measured the gains. That'd be great Like which dyno was used to see the difference. Just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyedAWD is on thin ice
Send a message via MSN to BugEyedAWD
Ok then Turmic would you agree that instead of converting to E85, you would be more power efficient and save money just finding a %100 gas station and using 93 octane. versus going through the whole e85 deal?
post #18 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I don't think there is a single gas station near me that is 100% gas anymore. They're throwing in 10% ethenol anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if they bump that up to 15%. But, I think what you were getting at. Is wouldn't it be better mileage and more performance to just use 93 or higher gas octane? Probably...the conversion to E85 on a non-E85 car isn't cheap.
post #19 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ exactly my point. even if, i think the car would run more efficient with regular %10 ethenol.

off topic: we have a sunoco around here with pure gas, and a few shell stations in surrounding counties that have high octane racing fuel and full fledged gas.

back on topic: I just want to know HOW you would run more boost with E85. Because just "burning cooler" is not a good enough explaination for me. Starting to not make sense now. : ( but yeah... i need to look deeper in this on my spare time.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
I'm about to install a 16g and get tuned. I'll be getting a 91oct as well as an E85 tune, so I can switch to 91 if I can't find E85. My tuner claims I will gain about 20hp with the E85.

There is a long thread on nasioc about E85. One of the members goes very in depth about the science behind this. He experimented with using up to 1/3 E85 in his tank (after much research) with the rest normal gas for a couple years and never had any known problems.

I tried this out (put 3 or 4 gal. E85 in and then topped off with 91) and could certainly feel a power increase. Search for that nasioc thread, it's more information than I could make sense of.
post #21 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I remember reading that same thread in Nasioc. It was very long, but very in depth. It had alot of good logging and tracking of the car and his fuel milage and all that.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #22 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
ummm e85 does produce more power....go ask Cameron at CamTuning.com....but yes...about 30% loss in gas mileage

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
post #23 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Burd@MAP is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Burd@MAP Send a message via MSN to Burd@MAP
I have personal experience with E85 in both NA and FI cars. My experience has been with daily driving, drag racing, and dyno testing. I will tell you right now IN GENERAL you will lose 20% gas mileage. However E85 cost approximately 20% less than premium.

Depending on your car and the power you desire to make, this is actually not as expensive as most people make it out to be. If you plan on running a bigger turbo or most boost your going to need upgraded fuel pump and injectors. The only additional cost to run E85 is the difference to a larger cc injectors, normally less than $100. With that being said a good tuner, someone who has experience with tuning E85 will tell you they can easily make an additional 6-8% more power, often times even more.

In my opinion there is no reason not to run E85. We have had E85 here for about three years and I will never go back to premium. Ethanol is better for the environment, and allows us to produce more power. Cost is basically the same, although you do have to get out of your car and fill up 20% more. Anyone who has experience with E85 will tell you its all worth it.

BTW we run E98 in our FDSM making 1005RWHP, who needs VP Import for $18 per gallon when we can buy E98 for $4.50....
post #24 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ blah...

anyone have a good source or website that can EXPLAIN to me HOW E85 is able to produce more power? i mean, real life experiences are great. But i need to see some numbers so i can get my info correct.
post #25 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
dude, not to be a dick but did you miss my first post and the one after it? Either you missed it or were too lazy to search, so i did it for you:

E85 fuel FAQ - NASIOC

there you go, 71 pages of the info you are looking for. If you are trully interested in some factual, scientific evidence supporting E85 use i suggest you give this a read. Granted it may take a month or 2 to get through the whole thing.
post #26 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I read that whole thing. My head hurt afterwords, but it was cool, educational reading.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #27 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEyedAWD View Post
^ blah...

anyone have a good source or website that can EXPLAIN to me HOW E85 is able to produce more power? i mean, real life experiences are great. But i need to see some numbers so i can get my info correct.
Do you not know how to use Google?More octane = more power due to less prone to detonation.This is a no brainer.Same as running meth injection.

ethanol octane performance - Google Search

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #28 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ i was just waiting for someone to do it for me
post #29 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I don't think there is a single gas station near me that is 100% gas anymore. They're throwing in 10% ethenol anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if they bump that up to 15%.
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
I know i live across the US from you. but there are only 2 stations where i live that run 100%. and they are being forced to switch to the 10% in the comming months. So at some point every station is going to be forced to run this.

and before the jokes start.
There are more than 2 gas stations in Helena.
Yes we do have running water and indoor plumbing
No horses are not the most popluar mode of transportation.
post #30 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

corysir is an unknown
Ok.. So to clear it up Yes.. E85 is rated at 105 octane. It does run cooler through the engine. and you are able to advance the timing a great amount. We use turbo's to force air into the cumbustion chamber well E85 fuel actually carries alot of oxygen within the fuel so with the addition of boost you are getting more air, so in return you need more fuel, Hence the larger injectors and fuel pump. I hope this helps clear it up for you.