Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   dp install problem (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/dp-install-problem-9105/)

gingertooth 09-25-2005 09:54 AM

dp install problem

just did up and dp install and now i am getting alot of noise behind the firewall inside the car. sounds like back pressure. i put a invidia dp to my stock catback and it is way loud now. and my dp was a little shorter than the stock one so now it pulls the whole catback up towards the front and the muffler hits the sway bar now too. can somebody tell me why i get the noise and what i can do about the dp being short. I get alot of vibration in the car where the new dp is.

9d2TSi 09-25-2005 11:03 AM

When I installed my dp on my car I got alot more noise as well, I'm assuming that it's from not being catted. As for the vibration and what not, I would say to go through and see if you can't reposition it somehow with all of the nuts/bolts loose and then retighten everything. When I did my exhaust, this is what I had to do.

Unforunately, the only real fix is going to be getting a catback as well. Then you shouldn't have any more fitment problems.

Jave 09-25-2005 01:28 PM

what does backpressure sound like?

I know after I installed my catless DP I had a whistling from the turbo that was alot more noticable.

gingertooth 09-29-2005 11:44 AM

i found my dp hitting the cross brace on the frame underneath. it was making alot of noise though the whole car. i moved the dp a little and it is fine for now, but i have to go back and grind away some of the cross brace. it is too close. the dp was also an inch shorter and when i bolted it back up to my catback it pulled the catback and now my muffler hits my sway bar mount and rattles all day long. need to get my catback soon.

socal2fast4u 09-29-2005 02:56 PM

What type of DP is it? My Helix mounted right up to the stock catback with no problems or noise or rubbing. I do get a loud whisle from the bellmouth but no other noise just a subtle deeper note to the exhaust but not much.

socal2fast4u 09-29-2005 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=socal2fast4u]What type of DP is it? My Helix mounted right up to the stock catback with no problems or noise or rubbing. I do get a loud whisle from the bellmouth but no other noise just a subtle deeper note to the exhaust but not much.[/QUOTE]
Oops, Invidia OK. I swear I can read.

suddenthomas 09-29-2005 10:00 PM

just out of curiousity could it be your waste gate whoosh that you are all noticing because now it can breathe as well I am not sure but just a suggestion

gingertooth 09-30-2005 07:11 AM

definately hitting cross brace. i moved the dp a little but it worked it's way back again. and my muffler rattles too since it hits the sway bar mount now. i just hope my new catback doesn't do the same thing.

jdmjones 10-24-2005 05:28 PM

my HKS DP came no where close to matching up with my stock exhaust.

gingertooth 10-24-2005 07:54 PM

yeah mine either. right where the flanges meet. what piece of crap subaru flanges are. mine leak withmy stock catback but I am getting my catback soon. so screw it.

DEMENTED 10-25-2005 12:35 PM

wow, that sucks. fitments issues are common with downpipes... but i hear nothing but good things about helix.

GetUpInDer 10-25-2005 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Jave]what does backpressure sound like?

I know after I installed my catless DP I had a whistling from the turbo that was alot more noticable.[/QUOTE]

ALOT more noticable....