Subaru WRX Forum banner

Downpipe vs. Big Rock......

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  coldreunion 
#1 ·
well, driving home from work today i ended up hitting what looked like a boulder in the middle of the road , and of course it had to hit directly on the bend of my downpipe and put a pretty big golf ball sized dent in it !Cry! . since it pushed it in at least 1/2 inch, would it be necessary for me to have to get a new downpipe? the only mods as of now are TBE and uppipe and XTP stg2. thanks

#6 ·
matters on the size of the dent. You're in no short term danger and if the dent is small enough, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If it's a major reduction in piping (say more than 10% into the pipe) than I'd buy a new pipe. You don't need to worry about it blowing up 2 miles down the road, it would just be a safety issue for the long term (and might cost you a hp or two). Again, that's only if it's a substantial dent

#7 ·
yeah, the dent is a decent size but nothing that i really think i need to worry about. it tore a nice chunk out of my heat wraps too....if i get a chance ill try to get a pic of the dp and i saw the rock along side the road, ill try to get a photo of that too just for reference sake :D never thought i'd be rock-climbing in a wrx

#8 ·
well i just took a look under the car and the front crossmember bracket got hit and has a tear in it and the bottom of my passenger rear floor got hit the hardest and actually tore through the undercarriage of my car.....about a 1 1/2 inch by 2 inch tear. thank goodness for the shield that goes over the front of the fuel tank too, cause it got hit pretty hard as well. so i guess im putting the stock suspension back on and wheels and chatting with the insurance company tomorrow.....wish me luck :notgood:

#10 ·
lol, yeah. boulder would be a better word for it. it was a little bigger than softball size and after it banzai'd my dp it proceeded to bounce off the road and the bottom of my car. got ahold of my insurance agent and she said that it'll be covered. they'll just do the whole BFH and patch the tear i guess. so i guess ill have to just ride the motorcycle to work

#12 ·
i work on an army installation and the traffic when i get off is crap. pretty much 45 mph bumper to bumper. and i did see the rock, it was either gonna go under the car or smash up my 18's. couldnt go to the left either because of oncoming traffic so that was really my only option.....but from what it did compared to what it could have done, i say i fared pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.