Downpipe, uppipe??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

JoobaREX is an unknown
Question Downpipe, uppipe???

So I am looking to purchase a catback system pretty soon, but which one would be better if I am going to add a downpipe to it later? (what size piping do u recommend?) I wanna know now so I don't have to do any crazy labor over it later down the road... Also, can I get an aftermarket downpipe with a better cat instead of NO cat??? Would that even help with performance, or is getting rid of the CAT better? How about the uppipe, do you recommend getting a new uppipe with the downpipe (i'm sure it can't be bad) but if I were to only get a downpipe would that be bad for my engine?

... Lastly, what's with the mid-pipe on the WRX... I haven't seen any threads on it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
catback
if it will bolt on to stock, there are several downpipes such as cobb or turboXS that will also work with it.

high-flow vs catless
as for high-flow cats:
This guy
made his own turbo-back exhaust

The reason why I am sending you to his page is that he did Dyno testing with a high flow Cat and with no cats at all, and with the high flow he only lost 1 peak horsepower, but also a small amount of acceleration.

uppipe
The Up pipe is insurance for modding... if you mod at all and don't replace the up pipe, your higher boost levels can send pieces of the cat through your turbo, thus killing it.
Without replacing the uppipe, the downpipe will not add all it can (because you wil not be able to safely turn up boost), but I believe without the uppipe, the downpipe will add a good bit of power even untuned.

midpipe
as for the mid-pipe, there are 3 cats in the WRX system, most "Downpipes" replace the last two and some replace only the middle cat. So they might be called downpipe/midpipe combos. You dont see much about mid pipes because most people buy a turboback or a Downpipe that includes a midpipe
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

JoobaREX is an unknown
Cool Thx! So I SHOULD NOT get the downpipe w/o the uppipe?? I'm not planning on doing any engine management mods or boost upgrades....
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
You can do the DP with out the up-pipe but you will need a cel fix. Most DP come with a cel fix. Once you do the up-pipe I highly reccommend getting your comp. tuned you won't regreet it!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I'd say get uppipe first.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

01tj is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Racer
catback
high-flow vs catless
as for high-flow cats:
This guy
made his own turbo-back exhaust

Man, that is the cheapest I have seen a turbo back. Anyone running one of those and have sound clips?