Subaru WRX Forum banner

Downpipe Install Question

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Jcarv20 
#1 ·
Hey, i have an 05 WRX with a Cobb AP, i just ordered my downpipe (Megan, catless) and i was looking through the search on here and online and i was looking at installation instructions and i was wondering do i even need to touch the EGT sensor? or do i have to unplug it? I know the AP takes care of the codes and what not but i'm just wondering do i need to even touch that sensor.

#2 ·
Is the EGT sensor on the Downpipe? If yes, then obviously you need to unplug and then replug into new downpipe. If it is not; then I have no clue; wait for someone who knows.

PS- Enjoy your Stage2 power when you get it installed. !Thumbs Up

#3 ·
if it's the downpipe then it is a 02 sensor and yes just unplug it and take it out of the downpipe and reinstall it into the new one. also for those who don't have a ap you can drill out a spark plug defouler and use that as a cheater. i did it and it works great.

#5 ·
Yes you have a sensor that you will have to remove. You will need a 7/8 open wrench that you can borrow from autozone. spray some liquid wrench on there first...in fact spray that shit on all those bolts you will need to take off, it will make your life easier. And that intercooler can be a bitch to put back on, use some spit to lube it up or heat it up with a hair dryer.

#6 ·
Ya, your right the EGT is in the Up-pipe so i'll have to take it off to get the Up-pipe off, i'm looking at up-pipes now and i figure i might as well get one while i'm down in that area replacing the downpipe, do Up-pipes all have ports to plug the EGT back in or do you just leave it hanging if it doesn't, sorry if that doesn't make sense, freakin sensors are confusing me.

#10 ·
my cobb up has a egt bung, but i plugged it with a M12x1.25 bolt, and installed a 2.2k ohm 1/2 watt resistor in the plug that the egt plugged into ( the end that goes to the ecu). I havent had one problem with it in over 4 years.

#9 ·
which obviously would be very bad.
What? I read somewhere that stock WRX turbos love eating uppipe cats for lunch....
/sarcasm

That's the way I see it, you might as well save you the future trouble and get an uppipe too; Invidia makes a good one for the price; HKS' is decently priced I think, and plenty others like DC Sports, Megan racing, etc.

#15 ·
I wouldn't buy an ebay uppipe, they are crap.
x2. Ebay is good for certain things, but not so much on others... Get something good name brand like COBB, Invidia, etc.

hey I have a random question. Will an OEM uppipe from an 06-07 WRX fit on an 02-04 WRX? because they come catless on the 06-07 right? So if it would fit; you could just buy the stock one off of someone. I think i've asked this question before; but I cant remember the answer. :yawn:

#17 ·
Yeah true. But if you just happen to find one out there; i'm sure you could get a decent price on it. But I wouldn't sit there waiting 5 years just to get one lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.