Downpipe cat gut help - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Thanks man. I actually didnt even think too much of it tho it should be obvious since there are exhaust gases being passed through the thing also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You could also do it caveman style with a hammer and chisel type tools in the beginning.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Thats what ive been doing since the cats right after the pipe bends downward after the belmouth. Ive been using a bent piece of rebar. Slow process
#19 Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Does anyone happen to know whatll happen if i put that partially gutted pipe on? I figure CEL. But as long as no mechamical damage is done

#20 Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The following is taken straight from the unabombers manifesto. I still think you should get a tune just to be safe first.

What is the CEL fix? It stops the rear CEL code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold from appearing, this code being caused by the lack of a catalytic converter in the exhaust. This is usually fixed with a Pony Express MIL Eliminator (no longer in business), Casper Electronics fix, or Perrin Performance fix. The 05+ does not currently have an electrical fix. Another fix is the mechanical fix, which works on all models. ***NOTE*** There are two CEL fixes for the WRX, the other one is the 2.2 KOhm 1/2 watt resistor. It is used to combat the CEL code P0546 = Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input) in the uppipe. This notice, though not important to this thread, acknowledges there are two "CEL fixes" and defines them individually to avoid possible confusion.

Many aftermarket engine management systems can also be used to prevent the CEL light from showing up.

Which is the best CEL fix, mechanical or electrical? Both work fine, though personnel living in states with OBDII testing prefer the mechanical fix. The reason for this is during state mandated OBDII testing, the electrical fix can show up as a malfunctioning sensor. For some states, this one malfunctioning sensor is fine, for others, you will have to fix it and return. In the end, the mechanical fix is cheaper and easier for most users.

Can I drive around with a P0420? Yes. This is not a code that will throw your car into limp mode, so you can drive normally with it until you get a CEL fix. It's never wise to do so though as a CEL is easily seen by police who may then do a "safety inspection" as well as cause issues during any local emissions testing.

Do I need engine management with a downpipe? For 02/03 WRX and 04-06 STI users, no. For 04+ WRX and 07+ STI users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with downpipe use. Tuning can ease this issue, but the cause/effect/cure of boost creep can be researched via this link

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#21 Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Thanks man ive read that and i know ill get a CEL. im gona do the non fouler. Im just wondering if anyone knows if theres any chance particles could some how flow backwards into the turbo if i dont quite get all of it completely out
#22 Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, shouldn't be a problem. But I'd get out as much as possible, especially if you will have a muffler and or resonators downstream.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#23 Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Alright thanks man
#24 Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
I got the cat out today. Just need a catless up pipe meow. Thanks for the thoughts bros. Much appreciated. Just hoping this catless dp will make my hks hinpower cb come to life. Its too quiet

#25 Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
All that trouble you could have just bought another DP without a cat...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#26 Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Well i got it cheap
#27 Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I paid $150 for mine....That's pretty damn cheap, heck even the Ebay ones are only $100 and they fit just as well...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#28 Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Ya mine was $100. I hope it makes my exhaust sounds sick
#29 Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh it will be louder that much I can tell you.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#30 Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
Lol i hope it sounds sick. My friend with an 07 impreza 2.5i put a catback on today and its way louder than my rex with a hks hi power. I have no silencer... idk why its so quiet