down pipe heat wrap smoke HELP!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
down pipe heat wrap smoke HELP!!

I bought a used dp and it was heat wrapped already. Bottom line is the car it was on was pretty low and chewed up the heat wrapp on the very bottom and i just installed it today and now it smokes pretty badly i believe its coming right from there.. Will this go away?? also anyone had a problem with this before and is this a saftey hazzard with it catching on fire possibly?? could i just take the heat wrapp off or will it be to hot in there?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Some people don't use heat wrap because of it's propensity to catch on fire. I know it has caused engine fires before. How often? No idea. You don't hear of it very often so it can't be a very high percentage. If you are worried about it right now, just hose it down. Don't point the hose at any electronics and it'll be fine. I'd keep the water off other parts too, as obviously you could warp something cooling it that fast.

I assume heat wrap is like anything else, the cheaper stuff is just cheaper. Did you bottom out so hard you opened up an exhaust leak down there, or just scrape off some wrap?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

It just the heat wrapp thats off the exhaust is solid as can be and alright thank you i cant work on it at the apartment because of dumb ass rules and me getting in trouble already so gunna grab a fire extinguisher and try to head over to my buddies house and hope for the best lol. Its the house i came from installing it so i should be good. Thank you!
#4 Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Heat wrap always smokes for the first few hundred or even thousand miles. It is fiber "glass" so the chances of it catching fire are slim to none, assuming you have actual exhaust heat wrap.. I wouldn't worry about it.
#5 Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
Heat wrap always smokes for the first few hundred or even thousand miles. It is fiber "glass" so the chances of it catching fire are slim to none, assuming you have actual exhaust heat wrap.. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes its fiber glass heat wrap i looked it up on google and found its common for smoke. Its not new though im not sure how long its been on there becuase its used.. Im guessing maybe with it being off the car for a while might have something to do with it.. i had it running and drove it for about 10 min and it was smoking pretty decently smelt horrible too lol
#6 Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Just go at it with a couple gallons of water in the parking lot. 20 seconds tops

-Brandon
#7 Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Just go at it with a couple gallons of water in the parking lot. 20 seconds tops
What do you mean?? To take it off??
#8 Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh, no I meant to cool it off. Sounded like you were worried about it bursting into flames at any moment

-Brandon
#9 Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have been using heat wrap for years and it doesn't really produce much smoke, as much as it smells when new. My guess is that since the DP was off the car, that something else might have got on it (like oil, PB blaster etc. ) Drive it, monitor it and it will probably pass. If you are really skeered about it, unwrap it.

BTW, there's nothing under the hood of a WRX that can't get wet. You just don't want to hit the cast turbo housing or exhaust manifolds with cold water when they're hot, as there's a risk of cracking them.

Cullen
#10 Old 11-12-2011, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

When I was a complete noob, I hit my backup siren with a blast of water cleaning the engine. It triggered the thing, and they aren't meant to be easy to turn off. I just keep direct jets of water off electronics now.

-Brandon
#11 Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
I guess if we're talking smoke like "somethings on fire" smoke, then yeah it's probably gotten oil on it, or even when a heat wrap gets a bit wet it can smoke and smell kinda funny. I guess I didn't read the post well enough, I was thinking brand new heat wrap with high temp seal or spray on it, as they always smoke a bit and smell funky for a few hundred miles, especially on hot runs or long runs. I still wouldn't worry too much about it, it's probably gotten something on it like another has already stated.
#12 Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah a friend of mine that's done it before said it smells like oil or something got on there and its not the break in smoke smell so I'm gunna take it all off tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!
#13 Old 11-13-2011, 06:56 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Also check your R/F DOJ (inner axle) boot. If that is torn or leaking, the grease goes right on the DP.

Cullen
#14 Old 11-13-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Also check your R/F DOJ (inner axle) boot. If that is torn or leaking, the grease goes right on the DP.
All good. I took the heat wrap crap off and its fine. only downfall i see is the a/c condensation drain line is like almost right on the dp.
#15 Old 11-13-2011, 05:04 PM

There's your source of smoke It'll just melt to where it's not touching anymore and stop.

Cullen