do i realy need a cat back ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-12-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

CanadianSub is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to CanadianSub
do i realy need a cat back ?

i don't want power i just want sound that it

do i realy need a cat back or just a regular performance muffler will do (reactive , vibrant ) stuff like that .. will i loose some power too if i install those ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bullit is an unknown
If you were to cut off the old muffler, it wouldn't hurt your power, but a whole new exhaust system would sound better.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
The problem is that two of the WRX exhaust hangers are on the muffler. Most of the aftermarket mufflers are generic models, made of metal that doesn't take kindly to welding. So, you either have your exhaust flapping in the breeze, or weld hangers on to it that will rust through and fall off.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok ...........

so it's my desicision do i install muffler offten or a cat back once ok .... i will check that

thanks
post #5 of 18 Old 04-14-2005, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

deadmoans is an unknown
Your in luck.......

I work at an exhaust shop. And YES, a cat back system will increase horsepower and it sounds really cool.

The reason: the further exhaust gas travels down the pipe the more it expands due to cooling and this can reduce flow.

The best exhaust system is the least restrictive. Ideally, you want 3 inch from the turbo back to a high flow muffler - without the cat is better, but magnaflow makes universal high flow cats. We install the cats for 149.95 (parts and labor).

I recommend magnaflow or flowmaster. Magnaflow does use 2.25 inch pipe which is not the best but they do have good mufflers.

On my other car, 95 Talon AWD Turbo we put 2.5 inch (crushed bent) from the turbo back with a typical import tuner muffler (nothing special) and it ran and sounded great.

I personally don't like the "motorcycle" sound most sport compact mufflers have, ya know the high pitched Honda crap. I prefer the low "V8" or "cam" sound. And you are more likely to get that with flowmaster.

If you got questions give me a call at the shop 515-287-3007 ask for Kelly
post #6 of 18 Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

deadmoans is an unknown
To answer your question.....

Any shop worth their salt will be able to custom fit just about any muffler you choose. Again, at our shop we do it every day.

A good stainless steel muffler will last for quite a while. You might even get lucky and find a shop that will warranty their mufflers.

But, the other guy is right, wherever you weld on a stainless steel system is where you are likely to get rust. Solve that problem by painting the welds. There might be a special paint, if not any good paint will work - use high heat.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
On a WRX, a cat-back is worth maybe 3 hp. On a good day.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-15-2005, 04:11 PM

wrecker83 is an unknown
this brings me to MY question.....i am going to be buying a up/down pipes soon, and i dont want to replace the muffler (i like it quiet), would it be in my best interest to replace the stock piping (catback except muffler) to make it all 3", or do you think it will be just fine to keep the stock catback? it sounds confusing i know...... thanks in advance
post #9 of 18 Old 04-15-2005, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

deadmoans is an unknown
Agree...

I agree that the horsepower gain on a CAT back alone is low. However, if down the road you go with a bigger turbo, front mount inner-cooler, cold air intake, ECU upgrade - or whatever - the new exhaust will work with the mods.

Plus a high flow exhaust will help with keeping a steady air/fuel mix across the power band in conjunction with other mods. (that doesn't sound like a commerical for the tornado does it?).

Bottom line it: you need to plan your mods. As I said earlier, I prefer the 2.5 or 3 inch complete exhaust (turbo back). It doesn't have to be expensive to be effective. As i said in an earlier post - I used 2.5 inch crushed bent pipe on my 95 talon and I noticed a gain over the stock 2.25 inch.

Plan and buy your mods one at a time.

I do bow to Cosmo's advice because he has been tweaking these a lot longer than me.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 12:37 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
It's intercooler not inner-cooler. . I would say just go for the full 3" back to the muffler or even better yet get a quiet catback like the Borla Hush. Just my .02 though.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

like i said in the hang out post i ad my exhaust install and i don't expect a hp gain but i do have a v-8 tone realy low and i love it and the muffler shop told me to not expect to have this muffler for alot of year ! !Laugh!

well i don't care for 200 $ if it last 2 year i don't mind it sound great
post #12 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

elgo is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to elgo
im running without catback right now and it sound pretty good and the car feels faster and you dont feel the turbo lag that much...
post #13 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
The Borla hush exhaust sounds probably as close to a V8 as one could reasonably expect from a 4-cyl.
You can listen to it here, just scroll down a bit its at the bottom:

http://www.fastwrx.com/bohucaex.html

Mark
post #14 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Every catback makes the WRX sound like a V8.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-16-2005, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

02scobie21 is more helpful than not
A buddy of mine has straight 3 1/2" piping from the turbo back, no cat or muffler, now that really sounds like a V8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement