Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   differences between 2006 wrx and sti???? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/differences-between-2006-wrx-sti-9494/)

iwantone 10-28-2005 11:31 PM

differences between 2006 wrx and sti????

what is the diference between the wrx and sti motors? they are both 2.5 dohc right? are they the same motor with just different boost levels or what? i would apreciate any info i could get on this. thanks:confused:

nick4592 10-29-2005 01:05 PM

the WRX has a smaller turbo (maybe injectors) and the suspension isn't as beefy and 5 speed tranny rather than a 6....but in my book the 06 wrx is a better buy than the STI..

wrx904 10-29-2005 05:49 PM

I would go with the 06 wrx tr, if you like the way the 06's look. I am going to buy a 04 wrx sti because I like the 04-05 look and I took a test drive in a sti the other day. The sti was a good bit faster than my stage 2 wrx.!Thumbs Up

iwantone 10-29-2005 10:53 PM

well the tr is on;t $1000 dollars less and it has a reallit crappy stereo. i am gonna spend the extra grand and buy the regular wrx i think. i like me music and i like it kinda loud. u know us damn kids ;)

WRXtreme 10-30-2005 08:24 PM

I don't believe the internals are as strong in the WRX as compared to the STi. They have been using the same motor on the STi since its production in '04 and the WRX borrowed the Forester motor, you can always do searches for motor specs to find out more specifics.

jwtarbaj 10-30-2005 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]I don't believe the internals are as strong in the WRX as compared to the STi. They have been using the same motor on the STi since its production in '04 and the WRX borrowed the Forester motor, you can always do searches for motor specs to find out more specifics.[/QUOTE]

On other sites I have seen it said that the WRX has weaker rods or pistons can't remeber which though. The injectors are lower flow rate, WRX has the air pump for emissions not sure what else.

ManicsWrX 10-31-2005 08:12 AM

Smaller Turbo, Fuel injectors, tranny, and like they said b4..its a forester motor on roids : ) and it does haul ass at that lol !Thumbs Up Think STI is .....$4,000.00 more than the LTDI wrx " 06 " 4 grand can get you that Injector and up that turbo. And if your that concerned about the 6 speed compared to our 5 in the rex....then get a new tranny the STI isnt solid either both strong motors & tranny's

WRXtreme 10-31-2005 08:41 AM

For the extra 4g's it is well worth it to get a STi. For 4g's you are going to be able to do the suspension, drivetrain, interior, wheels, etc. mods to make it close to the STi.

brcewane 10-31-2005 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]For the extra 4g's it is well worth it to get a STi. For 4g's you are going to be able to do the suspension, drivetrain, interior, wheels, etc. mods to make it close to the STi.[/QUOTE]
Very, Very True..

STi = better:
- Pistons
- Rods
- Crankshaft
- AVCS
- Heads (cams, valves)
- Intercooler
- Turbo
- Motor Mounts
- Tranny Mounts
- 6 Speed bullet proof tranny
- Clutch
- Injectors
- Fuel Pump
- swaybars
- endlinks
- struts/springs
- Tires
- Rims
- Brakes
- Interior
- Intercooler sprayer
- Exhaust
- DCCD controller
- Steering rack

I'm sure there is more.. but try replacing that for $4g's

Basically the body looks the same but don't let that fool you...