2Likes
  • 1 Post By man show
  • 1 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx747 is an unknown
Exclamation Deciding rebuild Kit for my turbo please help

I have a stock 02 wrx TD04 13T non-sti and it really needs a rebuilt soon. I found a rebuild kit for a sti TD04L Superback will that work or maybe upgrade it a little??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Here's one option: purchase another used TD04, port/polish/rebuild it, swap turbos, and sell yours. Minimal downtime and a slight hp/tq/spool gain without having to buy additional parts. Also, I have the stock TD04 from my 07 WRX in my basement that would work perfectly for you
LW_Black4 likes this.

John
07 WRX

Last edited by man show; 02-24-2013 at 09:49 PM.
#3 Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx747 is an unknown
it would be awesome to do but my seals are starting to go its my daily driver so $100 is a lot more doable than $800
#4 Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
If someone can sell a stock TD04 for $800 they are the best salesman in the world, because that's 8x what they are worth.
Cosmo_kraemer likes this.
#5 Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx747 View Post
its my daily driver
That's exactly why you should buy a second turbo, rebuild it, and swap them in one day - minimal down time. Plus, then you can sell your stock turbo and recoup some money (maybe rebuild that one too before selling it?)

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx747 is an unknown
oh was talking like with the turbo rebuilt and ported but if i can get that all done for all around a three hundred im sold but its not likely for machining in colorado it took me forever just to find someone that knew what they were doing to get my heads ported and resurfaced. Colorado has perfect terrain for suby's but very few good performance shops for them
#7 Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boosted25 is an unknown
Quote:
it would be awesome to do but my seals are starting to go its my daily driver so $100 is a lot more doable than $800
$800 ia downright silly! lol I have a spare low mileage one I picked up for $50. I see them all the time. and a td04 is a SUPER reliable turbo so look for a used one on craigslist with no in and out shaft play. minimal side to side is normal.
basically the td04 is a throw away turbo because there are so many laying around in peoples basements and garages lol
if you cant find one just post a wanted ad on craigslist and im pretty certain someone will respond. I would sell you mine for 50 but I always have a spare because I spin the crap out of that little snail
#8 Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boosted25 is an unknown
Quote:
oh was talking like with the turbo rebuilt and ported but if i can get that all done for all around a three hundred im sold but its not likely for machining in colorado it took me forever just to find someone that knew what they were doing to get my heads ported and resurfaced. Colorado has perfect terrain for suby's but very few good performance shops for them

also fwiw don't port the td04. its just not worth the $$. upgrade to a set of sti pinks and the turbo makes pretty good power with a good tune.
#9 Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

jeddy is an unknown
for those that have rebuilt their TD04, is there a link you could send me for a quality rebuild kit. i have a extra stock td04 i need to rebuild. I see many kits on ebay buy i dont want to buy a kit with crappy parts. thanks